starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalling, increase the eating even more?

Default Stalling, increase the eating even more?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello. I started SS about 3 months ago kind of half-assedly; I was lifting hard but not eating anywhere near enough (about 2500 calories) and stalled hard somewhere around 225/135/250 squat/bench/deadlift.

I did a complete reset and was eating 3500 kcal, gaining around 1/2-1lb a week. This worked great for about a month, but then I went from working (running around constantly) 20 hours a week to 40 hours a week. Sleep has been taking a bit of a hit too, since I go to school full time as well, and open (4am) or close (2am) work once a week. I've only gained a pound in the last two weeks, and once again I'm stalling hard on squats.

Before I list stats, another problem I have is that when I stall on squats, and can't complete my worksets, I'm so exhausted by the last fail rep that I feel lightheaded and unable to complete any of the other exercises. Is this normal? Maybe I'm being a pussy about it? I read in the book that I was supposed to be stalling on other lifts first generally, so I'm unsure what's going on.

Anyways: first stall stats - current stats

Height: 6' 1"
    Weight 185-189
    BF %: somewhere around 20 I'd say. Can just barely see abs.
    Diet: 3500 cal, 394g carbs, 117g fat, 218g protein

SQ: 175 - 255 (failed at 265 and 260)
    BP: 115 - 140
    DL: 200 - 285
    OP: 85 - 105
    PC: 115 - 135

As a final note, I added 10 lbs to the squat every workout since I started eating more; the squats felt really good. It's just now that all of a sudden I started working a lot more, and I put 265 on the bar and progress fell flat. What to do?
    Last edited by zhiplus; 04-20-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Why the heck are you adding 10lbs a workout? add 5lbs.

yeah when it gets hard you switch to +5/WO then when that is slowing down you switch your 2nd workout of the week to a light day

In cases like these, you should PM pics of your abs to Rip, so he can see if you should increase your eating or not. Best of luck.

Will do and will also slow down the weight adding on the bar. I know I was supposed to slow down when progress slowed down, but it happened very abruptly; 255 felt fantastic, and then I couldn't do 265 at all. Guess I got a little greedy :P

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Why the heck are you adding 10lbs a workout? add 5lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zahn View Post
    yeah when it gets hard you switch to +5/WO then when that is slowing down you switch your 2nd workout of the week to a light day
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    In cases like these, you should PM pics of your abs to Rip, so he can see if you should increase your eating or not. Best of luck.

One of these things is not like the others.
    One of these things will have a funny (but not for you) outcome.

i kept my abs throughout the whole process, i don't see why others can't, as well

@zhiplus

- you're not eating enough, bump up calories by 500 and see if that helps; also, 190lbs @ 6'1" is pretty damn small, so you don't need to worry about watching your weight for the next 20lbs

- deload squat and start increasing by 5lbs once you get to the stalled weight

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    One of these things is not like the others.
    One of these things will have a funny (but not for you) outcome.
    Yeah, I figured Rip doesn't really enjoy spending his days examining random dude's abs or lack thereof on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    i kept my abs throughout the whole process, i don't see why others can't, as well
    What height and weight did you start and finish at? Not calling you out, I'm just curious 'cause this is the first I've heard of this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zhiplus View Post
    Yeah, I figured Rip doesn't really enjoy spending his days examining random dude's abs or lack thereof on the internet.
    Some of the things Rip does enjoy would surprise us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast