starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Groin injury, too late for Starr rehab?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizypt View Post
    For future reference.

Chiro didn't have much to say about it, except that it wasn't back related.
    Starr rehab didn't work, at all.
    Foam rolling and stretching my groin helped a little.

After foam rolling all over the place I finally found a spot which hurt a lot, which turned out to be somewhere in between my groin and hamstring. I foam rolled and stretched this part for a couple of days, and yesterday I squatted (with proper depth, width and bounce) without any pain whatsoever! I'll continue foam rolling and stretching this area twice a day.
    Hey Mizypt, sorry to hijack your thread. I understand this has been 4 years ago. Have u managed to fully heal your groin pain? How did u do it?

I'm asking because I'm currently experiencing a sharp pain in my right groin when squatting. The more I try to push my knees out, the greater the pain. It hurts during the set of squats as well as the next few days after the squat session (but it's not DOMS, it's a sharp pain). And it hurts a lot more at heavier weights; it doesn't hurt nearly as much at lighter weights. More info about my injury can be found here in my thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...oid-groin.html

I've been having this groin pain for 6 months already. Currently I have just started doing the Starr rehab protocol (on my 3rd day today). Do u have any advice for me? Thanks so much for your time!!
    Last edited by zameslee; 05-04-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Hello, sorry to hear about that. I guess my injury was a little bit different (not as painful as you one sounds like). It usually acts up when I start training again, but gets better after a few days/weeks.

Like I said, I did some aggressive foam rolling and just trained through it. I can't recommend anything for you I'm afraid, foam rolling might work if it healed badly.

I see. So u didn't really do any form of rehab work or therapy?

No, not really, fixed itself more or less..

starting strength coach development program
    That's great for u!!

I'm on day 13 of Starr rehab protocol (using the squat as the rehab exercise for my right groin). Though the sharp pain in my groin has improved from doing the rehab protocol, i still experience some tweaking/pulling in my right groin with every rep that i squat (especially when my thighs hit parallel). I found that using a narrower stance to squat, along with NOT pushing my knees out (which is not the way i want to squat), helps to minimize the tweaking/pulling in my groin.

However, by changing my squat to a narrower stance and not pushing my knees out, my squat now has a very bad forward lean (a good morning squat). I really require a wider stance than the majority of people as my femurs are much, much longer than my torso. I've been squatting with a wide stance for the past 3 years and it has not given my any problems until this stupid groin pain 6 months ago. Really sucks that i have to change my squat form to a less than optimal technique. Now my squat feels weak with this inferior technique. And my forward lean is worse than Layne Norton's, it's like I'm almost doing a good morning.

I'm doing a crazy amount of stretching and foam rolling every day, trying to hit every different angle. But stretching and foam rolling only gives temporary relief.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12