starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: bill starr healing- the mental side.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Update- dropped all weights about 15 lbs and squatted. Burns afterwards, more than before i powerwalked, but no sharp pain. Used perfect form. May take a naproxen if pain gets worse.
    Made a decision based on info I had- proud of myself. Thank you again. I know i talk too much on this forum- knowing that someone out there other than my out of shape (but love me) parents is such a gift. Thank you again

Your message calls only for one answer: Squat DAILY according to the Starr rehab protocol! Also do do your PT exercises daily. By now you should know how to perform them yourselves. Of course, I don't know what your PT has taught you. Without that knowledge I can only advice you to not be doing any stretching exercises; but to focus on the strengthening PT exercises and to progress the resistance used in these.

Pain is just the way of your body telling you that something is amiss. But you know what the reasons for your pain are. You also know what to do about it. So DO IT and don't stress out over not being 100% healthy. Looking for excuses not doing what is necessary, won't get you any better.

Thanks again for the advice, hamsha!
    I do have another question, involving actual implementation.
    yesterday I did 65x25, 75x25, and 85x25. That 85 x 25- well, lets just that was my 25 rep max or really close.

from the starr wiki :
    "After 10 days of 25s, go up in weight and down in reps to 15s, then to 10s, and finally to fives. During this time do NO OTHER HEAVY WORK, so that your resources can focus on the injury. You should be fixed in about 2 weeks, squatting more than you hurt yourself with."

I honestly dont know if I have done 10 days of 25s at this point, due to the foolishness days where I missed in the beginning. What do you think is the next step today? just add weight to only the first two sets? or do 75x25,85x25, and 95x15?

lemme know and thanks!
    -Michael
    p.s.- been getting a little knee pain, even though I am sitting way back. doc just set it was the high reps and get a sleeve until the daily stuff is over. what's your opinion? working on uploading a technique vid, but technology is a new language
    thanks

Well, you started this thread on the 13th. Today is the 27th. Despite the missed days and in light of hitting the 25rep max as well as the knee pain, I would switch to 15 reps. I assume the numbers are pounds. If I were you, I would start with the bar 2x10 reps, then 65x15, 75x15, 85x15. See how your knee likes that. If that is ok, then do the next day bar 2x10reps, 65x15, 80x15, 90x15. The 3rd day: bar 2x10, 65x15, 85x15, 95x15. The 4th day: bar 2x10, 65x15, 85x15, 100x15. Fifth day: bar 2x10, 65x15, 85x15, 105x15. Sixth day: bar 2x10, 65x15, 85x15, 110x15. Seventh day: bar 2x 10, 65x15, 90x15, 115x15. Now it's time to go down to 10 reps for another 7 days. Of course, if the weight gets too much, stay at the same weights for a day or two. Or decrease the weight progression to 2.5lbs.

Squating for 25 reps sucks. Even with relative light weights, it may become difficult to keep form from degrading. Yes, wearing a knee sleeve during this period would be good. You don't describe your knee pain and its exact location. My knees are a few decades older than yours. However, they only time they act up is when I don't use good form. For example, if I don't go parallel or below. Don't sit back enough or don't line up my feet and knees. So, your knee pain may come from form errors or from the large amount of reps or both.

Got it!
    Just clarifying, ill actually bedoing less work today than the previous one, since I am dropping reps but not upping the weight?

Also, the knee pain comes on the top part of my right knee(the side that isn't injured.) Darn, I was looking forward to quarters today haha. Patience grasshopper!

Did 65,75,85 by 15. Knee felt a little crunchy, but better by the end. I will be sure to post a technique video before my session tomorrow! Thanks again.
    Just curious, I noticed bill starrs example went up in ten lb increments but yours goes up in 5s. Is there a reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by mstancli View Post
    Got it!
    Just clarifying, ill actually bedoing less work today than the previous one, since I am dropping reps but not upping the weight?
    Correct, that is my advice. It is primarily based on your report of knee pain.

Also, the knee pain comes on the top part of my right knee(the side that isn't injured.) Darn, I was looking forward to quarters today haha. Patience grasshopper!
    That (above patella) is where I get mine if I don't go below parallel.

Did 65,75,85 by 15. Knee felt a little crunchy, but better by the end. I will be sure to post a technique video before my session tomorrow! Thanks again.
    Just curious, I noticed bill starrs example went up in ten lb increments but yours goes up in 5s. Is there a reason for that?
    I based the recommendation of 5lbs increments on my impression of what you are able to handle. With 5lbs increases you would be at 115lbs at the last day of 15reps, 150lbs on your last day of 10reps, and by the end of daily 5reps for 7 days by 185lbs.

If you were to use 10lbs increments from now on, you would be at 145lbs (end of 15reps), 215lbs (10reps), 285lbs (5reps).

If you had used 10lbs increments from the beginning (10 days of 25reps with 10lbs increments, it would have looked like this: 135lbs (25reps), 205lbs (15reps), 275lbs (10reps), 345lbs (5reps).

Of course, you choose the increments on your own insight of what your body is able to handle. You can adjust the increases on the way as well. But you should be able to see what my thinking is based on.

Alright, finally, a technique video! (p.s.- I did not time the first squat with the music like that on purpose )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oH5...=youtube_gdata

my SI joint pain acting up today tells me one of two things

1- Putting 2lbs weights in my jazz pants because they don't have 2.5 lb plates at the pt gym really was as big of a face palm as I thought (especially after the right one moved from the side of my leg to my back after like the third rep and I continued to squat). I didn't hear any pops or anything, but does anyone see this affecting my technique to the point that it could be causing some pretty hi soreness/ pain? It was pretty hard towards the ends and I came in pretty tired, and I had been have a bit of pain there during the day- sitting a lot.

2- continuing to do the hollow rocks ( a physical therapy thing he is having me do), where you lie on you back with arms extended, bring arms and legs off the floor slightly to make "hollow body", and then rock back and forth. for thirty seconds three sets even when my back started to arch a bunch on my last set and there was significant technique failure was really dumb.

It's definitely just SI joint pain like I sometimes get- on the left side just like rip describes in his podcast on back pain, it's just really acting up after this time. oh well, I know to never do either of things again. I will let you know how sore I am tomorrow.

Just remembered- I used to good morning the weight a lot- do you see this?

thanks again!

sorry- I think that was a bad link

here u go!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oH5...=youtube_gdata

starting strength coach development program
    The link is probably ok, but the video is set to private. You need to make it public.

1. A PT gym without microplates...lol

Don't put weights in your pants. Attach them to the bar using appropriate string or velcro bands. Don't sit any extended period without getting up in between.

2. Continuing any exercise after form breaks down is dumb.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast