starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking for recovery

Default Walking for recovery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anyone do any walking to help aid in recovery?

Interested in frequency, time, observations.

do you mean walking on your non-training days or the sort of stumbling around the weight room between sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    do you mean walking on your non-training days or the sort of stumbling around the weight room between sets?
    Non-training, or even training days in the morning to help freshen up. I've got the latter down pat.

I walk to work and back, a mile and a half or so each way. I think that I get more sore if, for whatever reason, I don't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
    Non-training, or even training days in the morning to help freshen up. I've got the latter down pat.
    now that the weather is nicer i think i'm going to start taking longish (4 miles or so) walks on non days

I walk to work and back every day in the winter, about 2.8km (1.8mi) each way. I cycle in the summer, usually a little further than I walk, maybe 4-5km (~2-3mi) each way. Sometimes I walk or cycle longer trips on weekends.

I walk as fast as I can which is a pretty brisk pace, 7.2km/h on average (4.5 mph) but I don't cycle very fast.

Whether it helps with recovery I don't know but I enjoy it, it helps me catch up on podcasts, it relaxes and wakes me up and so forth. My heart probably benefits some. I think it's worth doing. Definitely doesn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    now that the weather is nicer i think i'm going to start taking longish (4 miles or so) walks on non days
    I was thinking a few blocks, until I get the thigh gap nailed down at least.

I think that some form of light exercise is definitely better than doing nothing.

I used to walk anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or so most days with my son in the stroller just for sanity's sake. We'd usually go to a park nearby. He is preferring to play at home lately and I went insane anyway, so I have been just doing some get the blood flowing mobility type stuff a few times a day. Not foam roller bullshit; just flailing around my limbs bullshit.

I have been going on easy hikes on the weekends though. Usually either Sat or Sun. Under 5 miles. It's as much mental therapy as exercise for me.

I think the act of getting outside in fresh air, in the sunshine, away from electronic devices and moving around is good for anybody.
    Walking helps circulate the blood, and the light activity can help control outside stress and improve sleep quality, my waking heartrate is usually down after I walk the day before.
    The current popular thing is High intensity interval training for conditioning, I like it for all out conditioning. However, Walking is a nice way to get some healthfull low intensity work that is easy on the joints. It is a nice tool, especially if you have some varied and interesting parts to walk.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 05-27-2015 at 08:44 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Walking is great. I walk every day at lunch for about 45 minutes to an hour. I don't consider it a form of active recovery. Walking, I think, is part of life, and should just be done.

The benefit I find to walking is that it helps my mind relax and process thoughts. Being "plugged in" almost all day, it's nice to have another time of day (aside from sleeping) where I can relax my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast