starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ab Roller - Midsection pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I will be going back on the roller tomorrow, 7/1. I last attempted this on Thursday of last week, so I should be recovered. As you have stated, Luke, I'll try to keep things at 2 times per week. The sets X reps will be as follows:

Week 1 - 2 X 2; 2 X 3,2;
    Week 2 - 2 X 3; 2 X 4,3
    Week 3 - 2 X 4; 2 X 5,4...

And so on until I get to 2 X 10. Then I'll add a 3rd set...probably something along the lines of 3 X 7...to keep the overall reps at a singular increase per workout...and so forth...

We'll see how things go...

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    I probably sound pathetic, but the Ab Roller I bought 2 weeks ago is kicking my ass. Short of rest, I don't think there is another way to alleviate the DOMS. I have been keeping its use to no more than 2 sets every other day (with an additional day of rest as needed). Is that being too aggressive?

As an example of my work with the abs Roller, last night I completed two quick sets. One set of 10 and a second set of 5. I did not extend my body all the way to become parallel with the floor, either.

This little device can really inflict some pain...

Any advice, or should I stop bitching, suck it up, and keep on rolling until my abs acclimate to the work?
    Hello
    When I am using it, I find that I get a really hard compression/mild pain from the halfway point of the outwards movement all the way until the end of the inwards movement even when on my knees.

As well, I feel a weird pain in my sternum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobnorton View Post
    Does the ab roller have any actual carryover to the compound barbell lifts? Or is it just a feat of strength itself. Does the (wait for it...) "core" work provided from the ab roller actually translate to a better and harder contraction in the squat, deadlift, press, etc...?
    I've seen several people suggest ab-wheel strength has carried over to the deadlift, not sure how legit that claim is, but some people claim it at least.

I think the ab-wheel is more like the chin-up, an assistance movement that trains a hole that's useful on it's own merits.

starting strength coach development program
    @beastmaster

standing or kneeling ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12