starting strength gym

Thread: Sharp stabbing pain in hip on ascent when squatting

Default Sharp stabbing pain in hip on ascent when squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I've just had to reset my squats for a thrid time thanks to an ongoing problem. When ascending out of the hole I'm getting a sharp stabbing pain deep in my left hip joint. It comes on very suddenly with no real prior warning but once it happens it's there for every rep.

Last few resets have gone, reset, lift with no pain, move weight up, lift with no pain, move weight up, get pain on 2nd or third set, pain now there everytime I ascend. I can't seem to replicate it with any other movement apart from weighted back squats.

After each reset the pain has re-surfaced at a lower weight, so it seems to be getting worse.

I'm 29, 6'0, approx 185lbs, Bench 85kg, Press 57.5kg, Squat was 120kg, then I got the pain, reset twice due to pain resurfacing at 110kg then 90kg (or around that), Deadlift 140kg. All for SS sets and reps.

Anyone any thoughts on what this might be?

This is many times caused by letting your knees slide too far forward on your descent into the bottom. Many nasty cases of hip tendonitis are due to this. I have dealt with this a couple times in the past and the answer is always to fix your squat. Post a video of you squatting and we can go from there.

Like Caleb said. After doing this to myself, I had to stop squatting for 3-4 weeks. On the plus side, the deadlift came up a lot more easily...

I was misdiagnosed for years with various lower back issues or muscle imbalances, i.e., tight hip flexors. I have FAI and then fell, tore my labrum in the fall. Tried fixing it naturally with prolozone injections and synthetic synovial fluid, two years to date after the injury i now need a hip replacement. Hip pain is not to be under estimated. Can you do a groin stretch aka butterfly or froggy and touch your needs to the ground laterally, if not I would be suspicious of hip impingement and a torn labrum if thats the case go see an arthroscopic hip preservationist. I attached the website of doctor I have seen in the past only because he has awesome information on FAI and identifying it.

Hip Preservation, Washington, DC

I get this at times. I actually had it today while warming up for squat (in my right hip). I usually just stretch my hips and quads out and add a few more light sets with the bar or 145#. If it is still bad, I will try using a slightly different stance. Once I got it to go away mid session by changing from heeled to flat shoes. Worst case, I can hit some kind of narrower stance box squat.