starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snapping hip syndrome

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I think my problem was that i didn't engage my hamstring and glutes to externally rotate the femurs in addition to just pushing the knees out, after doing that i don't feel the pain at all during the sets except when getting loose at the bottom so that's a nice reminder.
    Also getting to depth got kinda hard when warming up with the bar but when putting weight on it it just pushes me right down so i guess that will sort itself out with time.

Stretch, foam rolle, massage.

Could it be iliopsoas bursitis?

I have exactly the same problem, and I also got it triggered around 200 lb. squat. I stopped squatting for about a month while trying to recover with dynamic stretches. Leg swings didn't help a lot, so, in that time I found myself a chiropractor who is also a medical doctor. A really experienced man.
    At the beginning of the therapy, he told me to resume squatting and this time I'd shoot videos of myself in every workout and be EXTREMELY METHODIC on fixing my form. I reduced my squat depth in order to avoid lumbar flexion and I've used the TUBOW to keep my knees in place. Also, the internalization of the "hip drive" and the "knees out" cue has been very useful. But I am still working on that. After every chiropractic session I feel great relief, the pain and the snap seem to decline. However, as my squat increases and approaches my initial best of 200lbs, the pain is coming back. The curve is rising again, even though I haven't finished the therapy and my technique is a lot better than before.
    In this moment I am a little discouraged. Should I try physical therapy? Should I have another period off?

Manuel, did you get X-rays from the doctor? 225 was where my hip pain began to flare up from squats. I had snapping sensations that I actually would describe as crunching. Turns out I had a pretty good labral tear and both cam and pincer lesions.

I'm not allowed to weight train for another 2 months since the labral repair is pretty delicate but I've been documenting my therapy here: jhartman's FAI & labral repair

Only one hip was operated on but it already has much better active & passive range of motion than the other hip. Just trying to get things stronger and let the labrum slowly heal.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Snapping hip syndrome isn't a special snowflake problem as it's pretty common. Just because you haven't trained many people with doesn't mean it's rare.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Snapping hip syndrome isn't a special snowflake problem as it's pretty common. Just because you haven't trained many people with doesn't mean it's rare.
    Except it's self diagnosed and he isn't offering video for a form check. It's much easier to believe you have some syndrome and fuck around with that then it is to just train through some stuff and figure out how to do things correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Except it's self diagnosed and he isn't offering video for a form check. It's much easier to believe you have some syndrome and fuck around with that then it is to just train through some stuff and figure out how to do things correctly.
    I know it's a form problem, i used to have lots of knee slide. Still wanted to know if that condition, even if self diagnosed, meant something in my training.

This is one of my most recent squat sets, what do you guys think?

Dropbox - 7.webm
    Last edited by Nate9; 01-08-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate9 View Post
    I know it's a form problem, i used to have lots of knee slide. Still wanted to know if that condition, even if self diagnosed, meant something in my training.

Dropbox - 7.webm
    Can't see your width well from that angle but it looks like your stance is pretty damn narrow. A few of those reps hit parallel (barely). I am no coach but doing a similar set with an angle from behind you might help a bit.

Knees didn't look like they were going forward of toes egregiously or anything.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate9 View Post

Dropbox - 7.webm
    They look below parallel to me so I think the depth is fine but I'm not a coach either.

Your back looks pretty vertical to me.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12