starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ab Roller - Midsection pain

Default Ab Roller - Midsection pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I probably sound pathetic, but the Ab Roller I bought 2 weeks ago is kicking my ass. Short of rest, I don't think there is another way to alleviate the DOMS. I have been keeping its use to no more than 2 sets every other day (with an additional day of rest as needed). Is that being too aggressive?

As an example of my work with the Roller, last night I completed two quick sets. One set of 10 and a second set of 5. I did not extend my body all the way to become parallel with the floor, either.

This little device can really inflict some pain...

Any advice, or should I stop bitching, suck it up, and keep on rolling until my abs acclimate to the work?

As with any new exercise: start slow and light! I saw only three entries about the ab-roller in your log starting on the 18th. When you felt it "ripping out your mid section", you should have stopped right away. Better would have been to start with caution. Like starting (on knees) with extension limited to where you would feel a good tension (no ripping) for a few reps (best just one) for one set. Then add a rep each day. When you get to 5-10 reps, extend further. When you can do 1 set for 10 reps fully extended you can progress by holding the full extension longer. When you have become good at that, add a second set starting with one rep and building up to 10 reps.

An even more cautious start would be to roll on an inclined board!

Give it a good rest. After a couple of days rest, start these kind of sit ups where your lower legs are on a bench and your upper legs make a 90-degree angle with your lower legs. Don't flex your body and look up to the ceiling. Lift your upper body a couple inches off the floor. Hold that position for a few seconds isometrically. I think you can figure out the reps/set on your own. When your abs are recovered, start using the ab-roller anew with caution.

The ab-roller is a bitch that is easily underestimated. It is not unheard of to tear a muscle when using it. Other injuries (low back, shoulder, pec) are also possible.

Lol, you'll get used to it. The Ab Wheel Rules!!

Start again at 2 sets of 2. Add one rep at a time. I did that and am currently doing 5x10 on deadlift day and barely feel any soreness the next day.

Luke:

Thanks for your feedback. This damn machine has kicked my ass. I don't believe I've torn anything...rather, I have major DOMS. I'll hold off doing any roller work until Sunday or Monday and start with 2 X 2...adding one rep each time.

It appears as though you use the roller once per week...is that correct? Overuse could be another part of my problem...I'd like to start out twice a week and see how things go.

As a general rule, anytime you add a new exercise, start with very few reps and sets (possibly only a single set) to prevent excessive soreness and potential injury.

I overdid the ab roller on my first experiment too -- tried to do 5 sets of 10 between squat volume sets on 5-3-1.

Realized my mistake after sets of 10, 7, 5 and stopped, then was sore for a good 2 weeks.

The fact that it's advertised to housewives on late-night TV fooled me into thinking it wasn't very stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    I overdid the ab roller on my first experiment too -- tried to do 5 sets of 10 between squat volume sets on 5-3-1.

Realized my mistake after sets of 10, 7, 5 and stopped, then was sore for a good 2 weeks.

The fact that it's advertised to housewives on late-night TV fooled me into thinking it wasn't very stressful.
    I don't feel as bad knowing others have made the same mistake. I guess it is easy to underestimate how something that small could create such a large amount of stress on one's abs. Especially when you don't "add" any outside weight like you would on squats, deads, etc.

Does the ab roller have any actual carryover to the compound barbell lifts? Or is it just a feat of strength itself. Does the (wait for it...) "core" work provided from the ab roller actually translate to a better and harder contraction in the squat, deadlift, press, etc...?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    Luke:

Thanks for your feedback. This damn machine has kicked my ass. I don't believe I've torn anything...rather, I have major DOMS. I'll hold off doing any roller work until Sunday or Monday and start with 2 X 2...adding one rep each time.

It appears as though you use the roller once per week...is that correct? Overuse could be another part of my problem...I'd like to start out twice a week and see how things go.
    I do it twice a week. Anecdotal evidence, but any exercise done less frequent than that gives me serious DOMS. I guess frequent exposure to the stimuli upregulate our recovery capabilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast