starting strength gym

Thread: Wrist strain

Default Wrist strain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I somehow strained my left wrist (right between the ulna and the pisiform). It hurts during some of the lifts but not enough to prevent me from doing them. Interestingly, the most pain comes from cranking the steering wheel in my car (not normal driving but when turning the wheel in parking lot maneuvers); its very painful then. If I am wearing a watch and have my elbow bent and pronate my hand to see the watch, it hurts a lot then too.

Most of the threads I found on the board regarding this were injuries from power cleaning, which I don't do. Rip talked about scaphoid fractures, but my pain is on the opposite side. I don't recall any incident that caused it; it just seemed to be there one day.

Any ideas on helping it heal / not making it worse?

Last edited by Culican; 12-24-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Just a follow up.

One thing I have learned from these forums is that most injuries heal better when you keep using the injured parts. (It worked for my golfer's elbow, even though it was excruciating for a while.)

The wrist still hurts a bit but it is improving. Don't know how I initially injured it but it may have been doing some reverse (pronated) barbell curls with my hands too close together. I have since moved my grip out a bit.

I'd ditch the watch until it's better, watch bands cause irritation to me so I'll only wear them for specific needs (ABC watch for hiking/ski touring)

Did it heal up?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Did it heal up?
    It still hurts a bit but it is better.

It is also one of those things that hurts more at the beginning of the workout than after. The general trend of the pain is less and less so I am not worrying about it anymore. One day I will just realize it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    Don't know how I initially injured it but it may have been doing some reverse (pronated) barbell curls with my hands too close together. I have since moved my grip out a bit.
    If it were me I would ditch the pronated curls. What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    If it were me I would ditch the pronated curls. What's the point?
    I have long arms with small wrists; makes my forearms look bigger. I suppose I could accomplish the same thing (and much more as it's a compound exercise) with pronated pull-ups on one of my chin days.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I have long arms with small wrists; makes my forearms look bigger. I suppose I could accomplish the same thing (and much more as it's a compound exercise) with pronated pull-ups on one of my chin days.
    I have pretty thin arms too. I dont think that isolation exercises for the forearm are really going to get much hypertrophy. Kind of like a wrist curl. Plus, why risk injury doing a an exercise that doesnt really have much value.

As you say, you would definitely be better off doing chin variations because even if they dont induce much forearm hypertrophy you will still be building some quality strength.

starting strength coach development program
    You might also try hammer curls or do reverse curls with a curl bar using the wider grip parr of the bar instead of a straight barbell. Hammers are about the only curls I do. Once in a blue moon I'll do regular db curls. As a fellow skinny arm/wrist guy I understand where you're coming from but I still put very little emphasis on curls of any sort. I just find them boring.