starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't Sleep After Big Workout?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    1-2 mg melatonin 20 min before bed.

400-600mg magnesium citrate 20 min before bed. I used to do ZMA which worked great but quit after reading that zinc might be toxic to supplement daily and is best attained by eating zinc rich foods.

If you workout close to bed, no preworkout stimulants.

Get a small post workout meal in that includes meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit, milk, and starches (rice, potatoes). No junk food and no overeating.

I work out late and sleep like a baby. This list is something I have learned to do through trial and error.
    Last edited by Ryan82; 02-03-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Addition of ZMA info.

starting strength coach development program
    This is not uncommon I have less restful sleep when I train hard in the evenings.

-First of all sometimes due to schedule or training program you may have to train evenings. If you can try to rotate heavy training days to weekends you can train earlier in the day. This helps.

- if you train i the evenings try to get most of your food and water in earlier in the day. Eat a nice solid but not excessive meal post workout. Some rice some chicken a vegetable easy to digest stuff. And don't eat or drink anything an hour before bed.

- if you are in pain for some reason take something for it. Sore achey muscles and joints will wake you up.

Doing high stress training on days with a free schedule is usually the best solution. Coping with the fact that it is not always possible is normal.

-if you wake up and can't go back to sleep don't freak out. Read or relax for a bit and try again a little restlessness is normal.. the body is coping with a stress episode.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123