starting strength gym

Thread: rehab pulled muscle lower back

Default rehab pulled muscle lower back

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    I pulled a muscle (lumbar region, right hand side) on Wednesday while warming up my squat (60Kg, working towards sets of 90Kg). I completed a normal bench workout but skipped everything else, and limped about for the rest of the day, and rested yesterday.

This morning I thought I'd try out the Starr protocol, so I did sets of 25 with the empty bar. The squats feel like they hit my quads predominantly, they were shaking with exertion by the end of the 2nd and 3rd sets. Makes me wonder if my body is compensating away from my back muscles, and if so might I be better off using the deadlift to rehab instead?

My back is feeling better, but it was anyway - the pain was "blurred" already when I woke up this morning. I have a sports massage booked for tomorrow (my first one), is that likely to help?

wise man once told me "hip bridges are like flossing your teeth"

Ive pulled lots of erectors (Lumbar and Thorasic) as I was starting the program ... If I could deal with the pain, I just continued doing the program. If not, I skipped a workout, then pounded through the next one. If it's too much to deal with after skipping a workout, then you may need to follow the rehab protocol.

As far as your quads burning, that is not abnormal on high volume sets but without weight on the bar, your probably pretty upright, so focus on sitting back and pointing those nipples down.

Quote Originally Posted by convergentsum View Post
    This morning I thought I'd try out the Starr protocol
    Not appropriate for the typical back tweak. Star protocol is for muscle tears...you would see large amounts of bruising. But usually working the back helps. Ice sometimes help.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Grayson View Post
    Not appropriate for the typical back tweak. Star protocol is for muscle tears...you would see large amounts of bruising. But usually working the back helps. Ice sometimes help.
    He said he pulled a back muscle.. which is a tear. Wouldn't necessarily see a bruise.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    He said he pulled a back muscle.. which is a tear. Wouldn't necessarily see a bruise.
    People use the word "muscle pull" for any sort of muscle pain, so it's meaningless when used by a layman. While it may be a matter of degree than of kind, using the Starr Protocol for these minor injuries is a huge waste of training time, when it's likely to go away after a few workouts.