starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder/Back Injury

Default Shoulder/Back Injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I've been doing SS since the beginning of October last year, and I was making pretty good progress, but about a month ago I hurt my shoulder somehow during a workout. I didn't notice it at the time, only after I got home and it has bothered me ever since. I've tried to work around it, and it never really seems to bother me while lifting, but it seems to be getting worse (or at least not better).

It's fine for basically all motions, except when I lift something away from my body as in the image below. Such as a heavy box/book off a table, etc.

It feels like it's located in the trap or rhomboideus major/minor in the image below. I'd say it's approximately 2 inches away from my spine on the right side of my body.

I've stopped lifting for the past couple of weeks because of it, though that doesn't really seem to have made it better.

So my question is, do I just say fuck it, and keep lifting? Go see a Dr? Go see a PT? Go get a massage? Acupuncture? Stop being such a puss?

Thanks in advance.

-Eric

Is it muscular or skeletal? I snapped the spinous process off of my T1 vertebrae a few years ago. Took an MRI to diagnose properly and a long time to heal/be comfortable.

If it isn't bothering you during actual exercise, I think you are fine. If you can press comfortably, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm thinking it's muscular. It's severe enough that I'm having to baby it a bit in my day to day activities.

Need to get it resolved, but not sure what the best course of action is.

I develop symptoms like that all the time in the shoulder and it's normally due to trigger points in one of the rotator cuff muscles. Massages with a lacrosse ball often fix me up. The trigger points may not be located where you feel the pain. Best bet is to seek out a massage therapist knowledgeable in such things.

Thanks, Taylor. I'll give that a try.