starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder pain, what is it?

Default Shoulder pain, what is it?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I first discovered this casually when pulling apart the two ends of a towel, one in each arm, after releasing i get a sharp pain in my shoulder(around the lateral delt area). That's the same motion of a lateral raise, i never do them but tried today, it's painful at the top of the motion, right when i start the eccentric. I would say raising my arm to the side against resistance is painful, but only when i stop exerting force.
    Doesn't bother any of my lifts at all, in fact didn't even know i had it until i did that towel stuff.

What do you think it is? I would like to know to search the forum and find an answer.

Where exactly is the pain?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Where exactly is the pain?
    I would say between the posterior and lateral delt, but it's probably something deeper and not the delt itself
    Last edited by Nate9; 02-13-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Are you feeling it at all in the armpit area as well?

Quote Originally Posted by damufunman View Post
    Are you feeling it at all in the armpit area as well?
    Not at all

Sounds like infraspinatus maybe.

I touched on my shoulder, i think just above the spine of the scapula, putting pressure there kinda hurts. Looking at pictures i would guess it's my supraspinatus, it's nothing bad, but still.
    What do you think it is? Some inflammation?

I am positive it's nothing chronic, in fact when I do the "towel pull apart" now I only get an hint of the pain I got couple days ago, it's probably getting better from all then chins/presses I am doing.
    I hope you can still train!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate9 View Post
    I touched on my shoulder, i think just above the spine of the scapula, putting pressure there kinda hurts. Looking at pictures i would guess it's my supraspinatus, it's nothing bad, but still.
    What do you think it is? Some inflammation?
    Probably a trigger point in the supraspinatus. I'm dealing with that now. Massaging it properly will eventually make it go away; might take a couple of days or a few weeks. The best tool for it is the Theracane.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    I have no experience with the cane, but I bought one of these for five bucks on Amazon, called Asian massage cross or stick. Can only recommend.
    There are a variety of tools like this one that are very useful, but it's difficult for this sort of thing to reach the supraspinatus, or to apply much pressure if it does.

The Theracane has a large hook that reaches behind your back easily and allows you to apply a lot of pressure: