starting strength gym

Thread: L5/S1 disk completely removed, is it safe to keep lifting?

Default L5/S1 disk completely removed, is it safe to keep lifting?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I haven't been able to find a thread on someone who's had a disk removed entirely so here's my question.

I don't fully understand whats going on in my spine right now and I can't see my neurosurgeon for 5 more weeks, are the vertebrae just sitting on top of each other? Is there still a gap between them so long as I keep upright and don't relax too much? Is it safe to go back to lifting after appropriate rehab? (I did not need the surgery due to a lifting accident, my form is fine)

I appreciate any and all help.
    Thanks.

I am curious to hear from the md's/pt's in the organization on this issue. Stories like Mr. Gotcher's, about starting to train after catastrophic injury and fusion w/ hardware inspiring, but what are the limits to what can/should be done?
    My dad had 3 lumbar disks replaced w/ some kind of synthetic last week. At 72+ he was an avid (3-4x/week) golfer but hasnt done any weight training since the mid 80's at a nautilus gym. I hope to get him to start training following Dr. Sullivan's prescription in the new book but if the surgery makes it unsafe then "nuts" to that. Hopefully someone will respond to your question soon.

Sorry, I meant Mr. Swogger's story in "Swogger's Revenge", not Gotcher's, although I imagine Mr. Gotcher has inspirational stories as well, but maybe not related to catastrophic back injury.