starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bf needs help recovering after 1,5 years in a hospital bed.

Question My bf needs help recovering after 1,5 years in a hospital bed.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all, this is my first post in here, so very sry if I'm posting the wrong place.

In short my beloved bf, just got out of bed, after having a serious infection for almost a year and a half.

He used to be in great shape (lifter, I think he even attended a course by Rippetoe once many years ago, it was him that got me hooked into lifting myself, and him that presented me to the work of rippetoe back in the days).

Then like 5 years ago he got really stressed at work and studies, and he quit training and became rather unhealthy in his way of living.
    It was not a catastrophe, he gained like 7 kg of fat and lost allot of muscle, but nothing really changed all that much...

However eventually (perhaps due to this) he was hit by a very serious infection, and has been hospitalised for almost a year and a half.
    Last week he was finally declared well (just last week), but after a year and a half in bed, well it have really taken a hard toll on him.

He coughs from his lungs (they say there is no sign of infection in them anymore, so I take it that it's just lack of using them), he has lost most of his muscle mass, he have gained like 40 kg of fat, he had to pull for his breath just walking up the stairs, and his mobility in etc. his neck seams very bad.

I don't think he ever thought he would survive it, so it's like he just gave up and stayed depressed in the bed. I have never left his side.
    But now that they have declared him well, it's like his hope is comming back, and he wants to do something to get a second chance in life.

We are not getting much help from the hospital, they basically tells us he should try and go for walks, and sign up in a gym and start using some machines.

Obviously I want to support him in the best recovering program out there.
    Having been trough all Rippetoes material myself, and working my own ass into shape for years lifting weights and crossfitting.
    I'm really hoping this is the right place to get some help putting a plan that will save his life togther.

I'm thinking of buying another copy of Rippetoes books and videos, and make a giftbox of them, together with a personal plan (print out the clarification), and a letter where I will testify that I will help him trough this thing.

Right now he is embarished just to go to the gym, so there will be a long way to go.
    But I'm not ready to give up on him, and really want this thing to workour for him.

I know if we got this thing to work, even a half year from now, his body would work totally diffrent again.

But I need your guys help in actually making the best plan.

I take it obviously that starting strength and the clarification is the best place to start?
    (but perhaps starting a bit slower with the progressions than normally).

But what would you guys do besides that, supplement with walking and allot of mobility training? a little low impact cardio in the beginning?

Or what is the best plan for this kind of situation?

My best friend that is a strength trainer told me Rippetoe trains allot of older guys, not just youngsters, so I take it that the situation of my bf has to be dealt with much the same way as training an old guy?

Thought? and Thanks from a humble girl from Sweden
    Any help will be appreciated so very much.
    Diss

SS + GOMAD

No, but I think the solution is simple. He should just do the program, if he can't squat you have him use the leg press until he can squat the bar. Mobility is probably not the problem here, he just needs to get stronger.
    Find a weight he can use with good form and without pain and go up from there, you didn't mention his stats but being conservative with the increases probably wouldn't hurt considering the situation.

At least he still has his girl ...believe me thats very important...sometimes people like this end up being the fitness superstars because they know what its like to have your health gone

I actually think he would be able to squat... he is very very weak, but he is not a total vegetable (he has not been in coma, just been totally restricted to a bed).

As for stats, I haven't taken him to the gym yet, it's a week since he got out of the hospital, and I want to make sure I don't kill him (if that makes sense) aka. I wants to check in here first, so I feel sure that I knows what I'm doing before I get him working out.

I will say I'm stronger than him right now though - he is probably below in strength of a normal beginner right now - about the condition of an older guy that have never worked out I think.

He can lift me though, and carry me on his shoulders (though I can see it is hard for him), so perhaps he can squat like 40-50 kg's? *pure guessing* (I'm like 52 kg bodyweight) ... he used to be rather strong like 6-7 years ago when we first meet, which I'm sure might have saved his life going trough these things actually.

But what I read you are saying is following the normal clarification?! So just to double check: doing a very modest deficit/maintenance kcal wise (eating plenty of prots, vegs, and fishoils).
    And then just having him do the program, but perhaps pushing it a bit slower than normal?

And then forget about the bodyfat and cardio functions untill he has restored allot of strength?

As for mobility, I was mostly thinking about his neck actually ... when he was signed out, the doctor checked his neck (he had to move his head in all directions), and he told him that his neck was unusually immobile for a man his age.

Now I know SS works the mobility (full rom) of most of the body - but it does not really address the neck does it?
    What is the best way to restore mobility in the neck, while doing SS? (also his head looks rather foreward prone: probably for laying on his back for a year and a half, with a pillow under his head).

I don't have a problem making him following the program: was just thinking his situation might be a bit unique, so don't want to actually kill him now I just gotten him back home.

Thank you guys so much, I'm very grateful for the help there is to get here.
    Diss

Thank you so much for the support.

To be honest we did have a break in the middle. he was so depresses, ready to die I think. So he basically told me to stay way.
    I did for a few months, but I could just not give up on him.

It's very hard to see him in this state.
    But my love for him, and the hope that there will be light in the other end of this thing makes me want to follow trough.
    My mamma never raised no quitter.

*Hi hi I could def see him as a future fitness superstar, I just need to know how to get him there*

Your post made me smile allow Mainstream, thank you so much.

Hi, Diss. Have you read the article about Brian Jones? Slightly different situation, but it might be informative:

Barbell Training as Rehab | Karl Schudt

Good luck!

Adam, thank you so much, the speed of that progress gives allot of hope.
    Did not know a human body was able to adapt that fast.

Sure the situation are very diffrent. but still very useful.

Did anyone have a suggestion for what to do with his neck?
    Since we have come home, I have really starting to notice it on him.

As the squat and every other exersice we are going to do as part of SS ends below the neck (right?)
    I take it that SS will recover everything but the neck itself?

Thanks again all of you, this is giving us allot of hope.
    Diss

He can lift me though, and carry me on his shoulders (though I can see it is hard for him), so perhaps he can squat like 40-50 kg's?
    I'd be careful starting that "heavy". That may be too much for someone who has been that ill. Plus you want it to be easy at first, so he gets good gains quickly. The beautiful thing about SS is that you add so much the first few weeks. If he starts with the bar only. In 2 weeks he can easily add 60 to 90 pounds to it...depending if you go with the recommended 15lb jumps or hold back a little and do 10lb jumps. Either way, in about 3 weeks he will be squatting full plates and have tripled his progress (assuming starting with the bar). if you can get him to do that...that should help his motivation to keep going. then the program will take care of itself.

As for the neck...no idea specifically.

just be careful not to come on too strong. Depending on his personality, so will like the pushing. Other's won't. Ultimately it will be up to him.

Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Hi,

first of all, I wish your bf a full recovery; he's extremely lucky to have someone like you beside him.
    I would also add: don't rush.
    If I understand correctly, he's been having health issues for a while, culminating with his very long hospital stay; I fully understand his (and yours) desire to get out and make up for the lost time. At the same time, he'll have to be patient, and be careful, especially at the beginning. Getting to a 50Kg squat for sets across in two or four months, or even six is not going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things; on the other hand, getting injured at this stage would be very bad, especially for his morale. The more he forces the situation trying to blaze trough his recovery, the higher the risk getting injured and having to go back to square one.
    So, my humble advice would be to start very light, and proceed prudently and conservatively for a couple of months. He will know when he will be ready to push a little harder.

All the very best to both of you.

IPB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast