starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hang cleans without bumpers = hurt lower back?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Guess what mgilchrest? I saw Austin Baraki today and he said to quit hang cleans! Just what I wanted to hear :-)

Copy and paste from today's log:

Hang-cleans: quit em :-) Just what I wanted to hear. Austin said that since my clean is weak (I'm struggling at 130 already), I'm not an athlete, I don't have genetic giftings for explosiveness, and it hurts my hernia repair sites to just quit doing them. DL twice a week instead, with chinups mid-week.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Because explosive lifts scare me post triple hernia-repair, and I don't want to ever go through that surgery again. And because Rip told me to where a belt from now on when I lift.
    I don't really think that a belt is really going to do much to prevent a inguinal hernia (or re-injury in your case). The belt can provide feedback to help you stay tight through the movement, including to keep the back rigid, but it probably won't help much with the strain from exertion, particularly and explosive movement. Most inguinal hernias stem exertion combined with what amounts to a congenital defect. Sad to say, certain people (myself included) are more likely to sustain this injury.

How long ago was your repair? It took me about 3 years before I didn't really notice pressure at the surgery sites (I had bilateral hernia repair).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TKPK View Post
    I don't really think that a belt is really going to do much to prevent a inguinal hernia (or re-injury in your case). The belt can provide feedback to help you stay tight through the movement, including to keep the back rigid, but it probably won't help much with the strain from exertion, particularly and explosive movement. Most inguinal hernias stem exertion combined with what amounts to a congenital defect. Sad to say, certain people (myself included) are more likely to sustain this injury.

How long ago was your repair? It took me about 3 years before I didn't really notice pressure at the surgery sites (I had bilateral hernia repair).
    I had my surgery in 12/2012, so it's been almost 5 years. I'm not a medical professional, so I have no clue what the 'science' is behind using a belt post-hernia repair. I'm guessing keeping a consistent pressure in my abdomen is desirable, as opposed to being tight, suddenly getting lose/relaxed at the bottom of a squat, then getting tight again. I only notice my hernia repairs when doing hang-cleans (which I've quit doing), and when I'm not paying attention during an OHP and have excessive lean-back.

And yes, my surgeon said I was born with the hernias so it was a congenital defect. Sure hope I don't get another hernia down the road, recovery was miserable...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456