starting strength gym

Thread: Top of Foot Pain

Default Top of Foot Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've had a nagging pain on the top of my foot for a while now (at least 6 months, probably longer). The source of the pain is either on the fourth metatarsal or in between the fourth and fifth metatarsal, about two inches in front of my ankle. The spot is sore to the touch. It doesn't bother me during training, but it always feels worse the day after a heavy session. It also gets worse after being on my feet for a few hours straight (I have a standing desk at work) and when wearing non-athletic shoes. Ice helps dull the pain, but it always comes back the next day.

Has anyone ever dealt with something similar?

Ankle impingement maybe, there is a recent topic about it in this section, look for it.

Thanks. Close, but my pain is a little further forward than that. It doesn't feel related to the ankle.

Any update on this? I had a similar pain in my right foot; same area. It went away, but now I feel it in my left foot. Doesn't hurt during training, but sure is annoying the day after.

Quote Originally Posted by so.wack View Post
    Any update on this? I had a similar pain in my right foot; same area. It went away, but now I feel it in my left foot. Doesn't hurt during training, but sure is annoying the day after.
    So I've been traveling for work the past two weeks and thus I haven't used my standing desk. Guess what? My foot feels 90% better. I haven't had any pain after squat sessions either. The area still feels slightly tender to the touch but I barely notice it throughout the day, even when wearing shoes.

I'm going to give it one more week of not standing at work and then ease into it (maybe an hour at a time) and see how my foot responds. I'll report back.

Possibly tendinitis? Hopefully a good podiatrist could help diagnose what is causing the foot pain. My wife recently started to have bad intermittent pain in the upper foot after her LP period that was diagnosed as tendinitis. The podiatrist quickly found foot structural issues that a pair of custom orthotics should remedy and he also helped figure out why she has a problem keeping her knees out on the squat.

Just wanted to chime in. I had a similar issue. My fix was better arch support. Standing or walking for extended periods caused pain like you described. Got a pair of Scholl's and it fixed me up. I don't wear them when training and sometimes I get a little recurrence but it's minor.

Here's an update of sorts:

I haven't gone to a Podiatrist but the pain is pretty much gone. The area still feels a little tender to the touch but I no longer get pain after standing.

I think it was an overuse injury from my crossfit days that just needed time to heal.

starting strength coach development program
    Could have been a small stress fracture/hair-line fracture. My wife had one and several dancers I've worked with. Rest and support of the foot usually help more than anything else with these.