starting strength gym

Thread: Week off, Light week or Other?

Default Week off, Light week or Other?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What are the pros and cons of taking an entire week off versus taking a light week?

I'm appropriately programming with a Starr HLM and enjoying the program immensely, but lately have been feeling a little beaten up. Part of it is just the natural accumulation of stress from training, another part in lots of snow shoveling last week and finally work has been a little more demanding and I need to pay more attention to recovery.

Your input is welcome regarding ideas for recharging without losing too much progress.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    What are the pros and cons of taking an entire week off versus taking a light week?

I'm appropriately programming with a Starr HLM and enjoying the program immensely, but lately have been feeling a little beaten up. Part of it is just the natural accumulation of stress from training, another part in lots of snow shoveling last week and finally work has been a little more demanding and I need to pay more attention to recovery.

Your input is welcome regarding ideas for recharging without losing too much progress.

Thanks,
    Waiting for someone to answer my question, so thought I'd answer your unanswered one, though you probably have already done it by now. But anyway, I deload occasionally if I feel beat up and have done light weeks and partial or full weeks off. You aren't going to lose any strength in a week unless maybe if you are dieting heavily, and honestly I think either option is fine, as is the other option of staying heavy but dropping way down on volume. Do the one you think you'd enjoy more and then if you don't like it pick another way next time. Although I guess if you are new-ish maybe you don't want to completely take off just so you are still practicing the movements some. I personally like mini-deloads where I just take a few extra days off between weeks and do something else active. Though I don't tie my workouts to certain days of the week so partial week breaks don't mess up my program.