starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Sleep

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Lots of people focus on how they end the day to improve sleep. I have had a lot of success changing the way I start my day.
    When you wake up go through mental list of all the things and people that you are grateful for in your
    Life and why, Smile. Then go through the list of what you get to do that day( Example, I get to present at a monthly safety meeting for our operators and mechanics, write a weekly newsletter, and evaluate daily performance metrics today, maybe get to a drilling location and walk down a rig. After work I get to train deadlifts and bench, I am strong and healthy for my age and have the time and space to pursue goals I enjoy. )Smile lucky ! Our lives are great!
    I then do my biometrics(HRV and weight) and get ready for work.
    Do this for 80 days straight. It will reprogram your brain and you will have less to keep you up at night because your responses during the day will change.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 04-12-2017 at 09:26 AM.

I've struggled with sleep for the last year or so as well. My sleep doc did a two week trial of temazepam with me. It is a drug that increases your sleep drive throughout the night, sonthat you stay asleep. Not like most sleep aids that just help you fall asleep. It made a big difference. For the first week, I was still slightly groggy, but sleeping 7:45 consistently. Prior to this, it ranged from 6:00 to 7:15. By the second week, I was feeling quite a bit better and not groggy at all. Problem with this drug is that it is habit forming, and you can build a tolerance fairly easily. So it is meant to be a short term solution. Another drug I have heard being used for sleep issues is trazadone. This one is not supposed to be habit forming.

Another thing to consider is anxiety. This can be a cause of insomnia as well. Sometimes poor sleep leads to anxiety about getting a good night sleep. Which then makes your sleep worse. It can be a downward spiral.

I've been chipping away at my sleep issue. Cpap for apnea was a huge improvement. Ear plugs and a totally dark room helped quite a bit as well. The final thing was to avoid computer or TV screens and fluorescent lighting an hour before bed (I read a book). The lack of flickering plus calming my mind seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    I've been chipping away at my sleep issue. Cpap for apnea was a huge improvement. Ear plugs and a totally dark room helped quite a bit as well. The final thing was to avoid computer or TV screens and fluorescent lighting an hour before bed (I read a book). The lack of flickering plus calming my mind seems to help.
    Instead of doing that, I've started wearing these

the last hour before I go to sleep so that I reduce the blue light I receive. If I put those on, and take a pill of melatonin, I seem to fall asleep within an hour most days even if it's sort of early, sometimes after 2 if I'm too caffeinated after a late training session. Along with sleep masks, I don't wake up from any light either.
    Last edited by perman; 04-20-2017 at 05:11 AM.

try microgram dose of melatonin, e.g. 300 micrograms (which would be a 10th of a 3 mg pill). Report back here if and when you try this.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    try microgram dose of melatonin, e.g. 300 micrograms (which would be a 10th of a 3 mg pill). Report back here if and when you try this.
    Didn't I say in the original post I had tried melatonin? It's ok, and has helped me to fall asleep but wasn't doing much in the way of keeping me asleep. Honestly this past week hasn't been terrible. Up a few times but usually no problem getting back. No way to know if I'd be sleeping in though as I have to get up so early for work. Disclaimer is last two nights have been a cheat as I'm sick and have been popping a Nyquil lol

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Instead of doing that, I've started wearing these

the last hour before I go to sleep so that I reduce the blue light I receive. If I put those on, and take a pill of melatonin, I seem to fall asleep within an hour most days even if it's sort of early, sometimes after 2 if I'm too caffeinated after a late training session. Along with sleep masks, I don't wake up from any light either.
    Haha, instead of those goofy glasses, download the free apps f.lux (windows) and lux (android) which can be programmed to automatically cut blue light and overall brightness at night.

f.lux is a godsend. I've found my sleep got a lot better when I got an eyemask and wear a light stocking cap to bed. SWMBO purchased me an incline pillow because I have chronic allergy / URI issues and that's helped a lot more over the past two weeks with my not drowning in snot and snoring.

+1 on the incline pillow. My wife reports that I no longer snore.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by djoksimo View Post
    Didn't I say in the original post I had tried melatonin? It's ok, and has helped me to fall asleep but wasn't doing much in the way of keeping me asleep. Honestly this past week hasn't been terrible. Up a few times but usually no problem getting back. No way to know if I'd be sleeping in though as I have to get up so early for work. Disclaimer is last two nights have been a cheat as I'm sick and have been popping a Nyquil lol
    yes, you did, and that's why I posted. Most people use milligram doses of melatonin. There's a chance you're one of them.
    Once I switched from 3 mg to ~300 micrograms, I stopped waking up in the middle of the night.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast