starting strength gym

Thread: Back Strain While Deadlifting

Default Back Strain While Deadlifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I injured my back while doing 2 count paused deadlifts. The weight was pretty light (265lbs, my max is about 380), but I still somehow managed to hurt myself.

I had completed two sets without incident, but on the third set, after the 2 count pause and on the way up, I felt my back "buckle." Thats the best way I can describe it. Immediately after that sensation I dropped the weight. I felt a sort of twinge in my lower back, but I was still able to get around ok enough to re-rack my weights. I decided to end the workout there and not risk any more injury.

The pain worsened over the following 24 hours to the point where I could barely leave my bed for two days. Pain was about 9 out of 10 if I tried to move, 2 or 3 if I was laying down. 72 hours after the incident I was able to get around well enough to work my office job, but not well enough to be active. The pain level continued to lower over the next several days until today, about a level 3, 9 days after the incident.

How should I go about training after this layoff? Am I in danger of re-injuring anything if I go back to training this soon?

Could be a torn muscle. Which would suggest that you could Starr rehab it with loads of broomstick good mornings and work up the weight and reduce the reps until it feels okay.

Of course, it could be a lot of things and my only medical qualification is a first aid certificate.

This is probably the most common type of injury I have ever seen while doing squats/deadlifts. I'm starting to think that everyone will have a lower back tweak at some point in their strength training adventure.

What you described is exactly what happened to me twice when I was working through squats in my LP last year. It got so bad that I needed pain meds from my doc to get any sleep at all. For me it was just about waiting until my back got better before I could head back to the gym.

Speaking from my experience only, I wouldn't drop weight for fear of re-injuring (you will always be in danger of re-injury). Focus on getting form perfect and keep plugging along.

But then again, I'm usually wrong:/

When stuff like this happens to me i go to the chroptactor asap. Usually i am fit for fight again in a couple of days.