starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adductor pain

Default Adductor pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This past November I tore an adductor muscle while squatting. I went through the Starr protocol and eventually got back to essentially the same weight I was lifting pre-injury. Last week I submitted a form check and Tom C pointed out some flaws and remedies. I applied his suggestions and on Friday I did 325 x 5 x 3. After that felt a dull pain right in the area where the tear occurred, nothing severe, more like a tightness. The pain is still around today, no more than a 2, really only noticeable when squatting, but in exactly the same location as the injury.

My question is, did I do some new damage to the healed injury, or did the change in my squat technique just stress an area that has not been stressed in that way for a while? I’m pretty sure I squatted a bit differently after my injury compared to before and I’ve changed a bit since Tom took a look at my form (leaning over more, more active hip). Am I looking at potentially tearing the same area again? My heavy day is Monday and I’m scheduled for 355 x 3 x 3. I’m a little nervous because the injury took place at 360.

Thanks.

After doing something similar and going through the Starr protocol, I too felt some twinges in the injury area. I found it helpful to stretch the area before squatting and I also used that otherwise stupid machine at the gym that works the adductors. The area is pain free now and feels better than before the injury.

I don't blame you for being nervous, though. I calm my own anxiety by telling myself that I had ample warning before I hurt myself.

I strained my adductor pretty bad on 12/21/16, I'd strained it a couple times earlier in early season high school football and I always played through it so I wasn't too concerned. I didn't use Star protocol, but I was given a couple reminders (made injury worse) to take it easy.

I'd stay put where you are for a couple more workouts, make sure you're good (not hurt), and comfortable. Not sure how old you are but why rush it

FacePalm's Log

Thanks for the input, guys. Last night I went to the gym and told myself to take it easy and not push if any discomfort was felt. My workout template called for 360 x 3 x 3, but I decided ahead of time not to go above 355. As it turned out, I didn't feel any pain or discomfort during warmups so decided to keep going to the 355 x 3 x 3 workset, which was done without too much difficulty. Also did 445 x 3 deadlift and that did not cause any problems either. Today the groin area actually feels better. So. I'm feeling good about things again.

FWIW, I think it's normal to have a mental block at the weight where you got injured. I popped my adductor(s) squatting what was supposed to be 365x5x5. It took a while to get past it.

I still get occasional feelings of "something" in the area. Maybe some scar tissue in there, or maybe just mental. Just make sure your form is on point. Narrow your stance a little if you feel the need to.

its it just me, or are there a lot of adductor/groin/hip pain-tear threads on this site?
    Every time I turn around someone is having problems with that 'area'.

I honestly think w/ LBBS, one is just trading wear and tear out for the knees with the hip.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    its it just me, or are there a lot of adductor/groin/hip pain-tear threads on this site?
    Every time I turn around someone is having problems with that 'area'.

I honestly think w/ LBBS, one is just trading wear and tear out for the knees with the hip.
    I don't think proper squatting should wear down your joints, unless you have some specific condition.
    I think most "wear and tear" injury comes from bad form and usually go away when you start squatting right.

Tearing something is a different matter.

OP here following up on this. I let my ego get the better of me recently and squatted too much weight in one workout and too many reps in another after feeling some warning signs in the adductor area. Nothing serious, but I do now feel slight pain (no more than a 2) right in the crease where the upper inner thigh meets the groin (slightly more anterior than posterior) so, adductor tendon? Pectineus muscle?

I'm rolling the area with a lacrosse ball a couple times a day with no real change yet. Any advice? No squatting? Light squatting? Stretching and rolling? Personal experience has shown me that the concept of "it heals faster when it's worked" is true, but I don't want to get carried away.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    OP here following up on this. I let my ego get the better of me recently and squatted too much weight in one workout and too many reps in another after feeling some warning signs in the adductor area. Nothing serious, but I do now feel slight pain (no more than a 2) right in the crease where the upper inner thigh meets the groin (slightly more anterior than posterior) so, adductor tendon? Pectineus muscle?

I'm rolling the area with a lacrosse ball a couple times a day with no real change yet. Any advice? No squatting? Light squatting? Stretching and rolling? Personal experience has shown me that the concept of "it heals faster when it's worked" is true, but I don't want to get carried away.
    Thanks.
    Post a video, maybe your form is off

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate9 View Post
    Post a video, maybe your form is off
    Always a possibility. I recently posted a couple of videos in the SSC forum:
    Initial video: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ml#post1518249.

Video after trying to incorporate Tom C's suggestions: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ml#post1523169.

I worked out last night and promised myself not to push if I felt any discomfort and not to go above 315 in any case. I also narrowed my stance a bit to take some tension off the adductors. I did 315 and felt no pain or discomfort so decided to do a set of three at 335. First set went well, felt something during the second set so I stopped there. Area feels ok today so I'll probably continue with that routine for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast