starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in top of patella. Skipped gym for 10 days.

Default Pain in top of patella. Skipped gym for 10 days.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I have pain in top part of the patella or slightly above it. It hurts when i tap it with my fingers.
    While doing the squats sometimes i felt the weight go over my toes. Also in couple of sets I felt as if I am doing a leg press and used my quads to get up.

I posted form checks here and even did a deload
    85 Kg squat form check. 3 Months on SS. Two video angles.

Thinking that doing a correct version would unfuck my knees, i continued. But i was unable to teach myself the correct technique in absence of a coach as no one is available anywhere near my location.

Some days ago while at work i felt pain in my left knee and upon inspection there was a red spot and and some inflammation near top of patella. I decided to take take time off from gym and get it checked by a Doc. He prescribed topfenac-Sr(aceclofenac) 2 times a day and Glucosamine HCL/Diacerein/ Capasicin gel. An Xray showed up nothing alarming though he said i will have to get a MRI if things dont improve with meds. He also prescribed an ESR test which came out as 25.0 . My next visit to him is on Monday.

Its been 10 days since i last worked out and they haven't healed 100% and there is tenderness when i tap them.

I am thinking about going back to the gym in couple of days(monday-tuesday). Resetting my squat to very low weights(40Kg) and re learning the movement using a TUBOW. Also lower the weights on other movements as well by atleast 30% and posting formchecks.

What is wrong with my knee and what would be the best course of action?
    Last edited by threeonethree; 04-22-2017 at 11:15 AM.

What type of shoes do you wear to squat?

have u tried TUBOW?

from the last 1 month I have been using weightlifting shoes but they did not correct the problem.

I haven't tried tubow yet but will do after completing my recovery period and doing a reset.

I got a very similar pain a few weeks ago after losing balance and doing most of my heavy squats almost on my toes only. I stopped squatting and subbed them for Snatch grip Deadlifts for a while. Took almost a month to heal, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
    I got a very similar pain a few weeks ago after losing balance and doing most of my heavy squats almost on my toes only. I stopped squatting and subbed them for Snatch grip Deadlifts for a while. Took almost a month to heal, if not more.
    So it has been 10 days since the last workout. I feel fine and recovered but knee not 100%. . So do I

1) Skip the gym till it is 100%?
    2) Go the the gym and skip the squats and do upper body exercies for 1 more week. Learn the chinups?
    3) Go the the gym and do empty bar/low weight squats using tubow to correct the movement + other exercises. Can i risk prolonging the recovery?

I probably have to stop taking the topfenac-Sr(aceclofenac) tabs before going to the gym? I only took it for 5 days and doc prescribed it for 10 days.

thanks
    Last edited by threeonethree; 04-23-2017 at 07:43 AM.

i am out of action for 2 weeks now and continuing with NSAIDS. I still have soreness in knees when i tap top of patella and the area right above it.Still feel some pressure when i try to get out of a chair using my knees. Set up with followup doc appointment tomorrow.

Should i go to the gym and re learn the squats with very low weights and TUBOW or completely skip the squats and do upper body exercises for another couple of weeks till everything is completely healed?
    Last edited by threeonethree; 04-25-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Squatting correctly will help more than sitting around. Go light with a TUBOW. Re-read through Jeremy's points about getting tight and staying tight, even at the light weight.

i have a similar situation but in the inside of the patella. I only feel it when not in the gym and during warmups it feels fine. Does it hurt while you squat? Edit: By your description it seems like small tear because of the colour and swelling. Use kneesleeves for extrawarmth and try a few light/medium cycles and see where it goes?
    Last edited by SocalledStrength; 04-28-2017 at 01:42 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    I seem to always have some amount of pain in the top of my left kneecap. Even with perfect technique* it will inflame it some. I have to consciously get into my hips a little more than a typical LBBS, then it does okay.

*Yes I've had a SSC out to the house recently to make sure of that.