starting strength gym

Thread: Where should you "feel" the low bar squat?

Default Where should you "feel" the low bar squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Take this post with a bit of humor as its more a question of curiosity. So when I learned to squat I learned high-bar and typically would feel any soreness during recovery in my quads.

Now that I'm trying to get my low-bar squat down I am noticing (today especially) a soreness in my hip flexors and my glutes. Scientifically I would describe a slight soreness on my rear hip/outer ass meat.

This should be a good sign right, as the low-bar targets that group more? Or should it be more in the hamstrings?

Again light hearted curiosity, not really a serious concern about recovery. Just want to make sure my squats are doing what I want them to.

you should not trust for feelz for anything

Hamstrings are isometrically contracted in the squat, so you should not be feeling them when the movement is properly executed.

But to echo what MBasic said, soreness is not an indicator of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Hamstrings are isometrically contracted in the squat, so you should not be feeling them when the movement is properly executed.

But to echo what MBasic said, soreness is not an indicator of progress.
    Actually they help with hip extension. The reason people feel soreness mainly in their quads is because they are the only knee extensor group, while hip extension is performed by glutes, adductors and hamstrings, spreading the work over more muscles.

He said, "ass meat"