starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharp pain in Rhomboid and Groin

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    1) Yup you're absolutely right Emily. For my rhomboid pain, it started of as quite a mild pain during its initial stage. All I did was foam roll it with a foam roller and a lacrosse ball, thinking that this would work. I would continue doing front squats, deadlifts and rack pulls every week until the pain became so bad, that I took the 1 month rest and resorted to taking 3 corticosteroid injections. However, none of these worked (other than providing a bit of temporary relief).

2) I'm already doing these isometrics before my workouts. It does help a bit. However, is there anything else I can do that can provide a long term solution for a full recovery? Instead of just desensitising the area or providing a descending pain inhibitory effect?

3) That's great to know!!

4) Ok I will look into the banded prone knee flexion holds. Thanks again Emily. You've been such a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    1. Not necessarily. Unfortunately, a physical examination is necessary to give you more guidance.

There was no mechanism of an acute muscle pull; you had a slow onset on pain. I presume your doctor to rule out systemic/serious pathology. This is one to train your way out of.

2. The isometrics are a bridge to isotonics, i.e squatting, deadlifting. Try doing them before you squat and deadlift, as a desensitising warm-up.

3. That's fine - they are not stressful enough to be a problem. They are simply intended to have a descending pain inhibitory effect.

4. Perhaps one of your other adductors (adductor magnus), referred pain, or possibly the hamstring. Banded Prone Knee Flexion holds are a good option for getting at hamstring origin. However, at this stage, you really should be looking at getting back to your lifts.
    Hi Emily, u mentioned that my rhomboid pain could be a costovertebral irritation, and it could be "one to train your way out of". How do I train my way out of this? Especially when I have tried literally everything that I could possible do to help in the recovery of my rhomboid.

Also, I have tried doing the banded prone knee flexion holds. However, it only targets the general location of the hamstring, and not the exact location that I'm feeling pain at. Is there any rehab exercise/movement that I can do to target the exact location? It's at the spot between the groin and the upper hamstring.

Emily, I would also like to ask, is it a good or a bad idea to be doing stretching and/or rolling with a foam roller or lacrosse ball for my rhomboid as well as my groin? Thank you!!

Hi Emily, it's been quite some time since I posted these questions, but I had no response from u. Could I have your response please?

Anyone else who is able to help me with your knowledge & experience are more than welcome to answer my questions too. Sincerely need your help with these 2 injuries. They have been affecting me for so long and I have yet to find a proper solution for it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zameslee View Post
    Hi Emily, u mentioned that my rhomboid pain could be a costovertebral irritation, and it could be "one to train your way out of". How do I train my way out of this? Especially when I have tried literally everything that I could possible do to help in the recovery of my rhomboid.

Also, I have tried doing the banded prone knee flexion holds. However, it only targets the general location of the hamstring, and not the exact location that I'm feeling pain at. Is there any rehab exercise/movement that I can do to target the exact location? It's at the spot between the groin and the upper hamstring.
    I see form errors in your squats and deadlifts. I think you would benefit from in-person coaching with a starting strength coach. Did you check out the one I linked earlier in this thread?

The HS holds were an idea only. Without knowing the exact location, I cannot recommend further rehab suggestions.

Emily, I would also like to ask, is it a good or a bad idea to be doing stretching and/or rolling with a foam roller or lacrosse ball for my rhomboid as well as my groin? Thank you!!
    I don't think it would be either helpful or harmful.

Hi Emily, it's been quite some time since I posted these questions, but I had no response from u. Could I have your response please?

Anyone else who is able to help me with your knowledge & experience are more than welcome to answer my questions too. Sincerely need your help with these 2 injuries. They have been affecting me for so long and I have yet to find a proper solution for it. Thanks!
    I really encourage you to get in-person coaching. Even though you have had some coaching, there are still errors in your lifts. I reserve my 100% insistence they are causing your soreness; however I feel it very likely that things will improve by working on these.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok, thank u for ur response Emily. Will try to schedule a coaching with that SS coach. I've been extremely busy these few months, so it's gonna be quite hard to arrange for this coaching session.

Will keep u updated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123