starting strength gym

Thread: Post-workout adductor soreness after driving home

Default Post-workout adductor soreness after driving home

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    45 yo, 6', 275 lb. (fat) intermediate on HLM

Last evening I did 295x3x5 squats and 135x3x5 presses for my light day. I felt fine walking out of the gym to my car, but after the 20 minute drive home, getting out of the car was difficult. I had heavy soreness in my inner thighs, specifically my right inner thigh, which I'm guessing is the adductor. The soreness lasted throughout the evening. Both walking and getting up from a chair were difficult and slow.

This morning I felt back to normal - a little bit sore all over, but not bad. My right adductor feels the echoes of last night, but it's pretty good right now.

I had the same thing happen a week or two ago - walked out of the gym just fine, but felt heavy soreness in my adductor after the drive home, for the rest of the evening.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, did you find a good way to prevent mitigate it? I've thought about stretching or walking or light cardio. My gym doesn't have a prowler.

A good chance it's related to form (not an SSC, just guessing stance too wide) so my advice would be to submit a video.

As someone who has torn an abductor muscle tread lightly. I agree with RJP in AZ in that you should submit a form check. Do you notice your knees tracking in at all during the concentric movement of the squat?

+1 to probably form, with a guess at stance width/foot angle/knee position

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I do need to take some form videos - maybe I'll finally ditch my $10 dumbphone for a smartphone with a decent camera.

Today I did 315x3x5 squats for medium day, which was slightly lighter than planned, and I also moved my feet closer together. Normally, my heels are shoulder width apart, but I might have been inching them further apart over time. Today my heels were inside the shoulders. I also tried to maximize hip drahve, although doing high bar due to limited flexibility.

The last thing I changed was my stance when unracking the bar - I probably acquired the habit of planting my right leg forward when raising the bar off the hooks, which might have put a lot of the weight on the right adductor. Today I kept my feet symmetrical when rising up to meet the bar.

After these adjustments, there wasn't any adductor soreness this evening, so I will keep doing these things.