starting strength gym

Thread: Groin Injury, Squats and the Starr Rehab Protocol

Default Groin Injury, Squats and the Starr Rehab Protocol

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Main Questions

I have an adductor injury. My injury don't feel particularly strained when I'm doing squats. If I didn't injure myself doing squats, will squats with the Starr Protocol work?

If not, what exercise could I do?

Details

I started lifting about 2 months ago. I lift three times a week, I am still lifting pretty light, I've taken some powerlifting classes and I have pretty good form. Outside of a sore back for a weekend, everything has been great. Last Sunday I was playing softball and as I was coming back from outfield I noticed a pain in my left groin. (At some point, either during that inning or a prior inning, I had done some bodyweight squats to limber up. I don't think that's what injured me. I think it was turning and running for a ball without warming up.) It wasn't awful and I finished the game. It got worse and worse throughout the night. I spent that night and the next two days resting and icing.

The next day, Wednesday, I went to a physical therapist who diagnosed an adductor strain. He gave me some exercises and resistance bands but after listening to Rips podcast and reading here, I'm skeptical of these programs.

Yesterday I learned about the Starr Rehab Protocol and I'm interested in trying it. However, I don't think I injured it doing squats. I haven't been back to the gym since I injured myself but when I do bodyweight squats I don't feel anything different except for a general mild soreness in the left hip and a very slight strain in the injured area midway through ascending. Today I did 10x25x3 (just what I have around the house) and it felt slightly better afterwards.

The pain is located in my left groin, right where the hip meets the groin area, towards the front. It most pronounced in two ways: One, while standing I move my left leg across my body, in front of or behind my right leg. It's worse if I'm moving my leg behind my body. And two, laying on my left side and bending my right leg over my left, lifting my left leg into the crook of my right knee.

Thank you for your help! I just signed up, so hello everybody. Sorry if I wrote too much!

Is it FAI?

No, it's adductor brevis and longus inflammation. It's just that they don't feel any more strained than normal when I squat. Would this change under the bar?

I hope you started the protocol a week ago. I did it and it worked.