starting strength gym

Thread: Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome

Default Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anyone had issues with Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome?

I think I have it and I have a few questions.

1. Recovery time? I know this will be different for different people. Just a ballpark would be useful.

2. Where should I start with my squats when I return to squatting? How much gains will I lose while taking a break from squats? Prior to injury I was doing 380 with a PR of 405. I think it was the 405 that did because that same day my knee started to really bother me and hasn't stopped for about a week.

Thanks in advance.

"It depends" is probably the answer you'll get. Considering PPS is kind of the diagnosis you get when the health professional you're seeing has absolutely no idea what's wrong, but they do know you have knee pain. So they effectively give you a fancy diagnosis of knee pain but with more syllables. Some will attribute it to alignment of this or imbalance of that, but others will admit it's whatever it is, and reading the research isn't exactly illuminating. But as a self-diagnosis, not sure if it's helping you: yours came on as a result of a single set, and you might want to get it checked out and see if it's not something more definite. Recovery time? I notice changes in the order of weeks to months for 'knee pain' but that's a purely personal observation.

Things people do to handle knee pain: Get a diagnosis, Ibuprofen, check form for issues (if your knees are making large position changes during the last part of the squat descent that could be a contributor), don't jump or run, warm up extensively, wear good knee sleeves, maybe light wraps, lifting shoes, train through it/around it if possible. I was lucky because I had chronic knee pain that was actually improved by squats a few months in to an LP. A couple of years down the track the pendulum has swung back and I'm a couple of months in to a new bout of knee fuckery. Sometimes stuff hurts for a reason, and sometimes it just hurts, and it's hard to tell which boat you're in.

You'll notice gainz loss from a couple of weeks on. You won't go back to rock bottom baseline, but if you go months without squatting you'll need to LP back up again from a big deload. It'll be a fast LP though! Best of luck.