starting strength gym

Thread: Slight groin strain -- ongoing two weeks

Default Slight groin strain -- ongoing two weeks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a tightness in my right groin that I feel the most during my initial warm ups with the bar and progressively notice it less as I warm up and enter my work sets (currently 152kg).

I don't know when the injury occurred. I never felt anything pop and can't say for sure even when exactly I began noticing it.

I narrow stance as recommended in the book alleviates the symptoms a little, but I can still feel the tightness/strain.

For the last two weeks I have continued to train my normal HLM protocol. What should I do from here I order to prevent the injury from becoming more significant?

***I have used the search function and found a variety of responses, but none addressing quite the same state of strain/injury that I'm in. Thanks for your help!

I have been haunted with this issue for over 4 years because I didn't rehab it properly in the beginning. Don't make the same mistake.

That's my question. What is the proper rehab at this point?

A full starr rehab?

Narrow stance and slowly work up in weight, but keep it on the lighter side?

Take a week off?

Something else?

Looking for some clarity on where to go from here. Thanks!

Starr is for muscle tears, not strains per se.

Continue to train with excellent form. You may want/need to tweak stance, try and see. The fact that it gets better the more you warm up is a good thing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    Starr is for muscle tears, not strains per se.

Continue to train with excellent form. You may want/need to tweak stance, try and see. The fact that it gets better the more you warm up is a good thing, too.
    Thank you. I'll reply back in a while and let you know what happens. Thanks again!

When I strained my right groin last year, I did Star rehab and it helped. What also helped alleviate the pain once the weights got heavier was wrapping my upper thigh with a long wrap fairly tightly. Wrapped it right below the hip to about 3-4" down. After a week or so, I could squat without it.

I would stretch and roll it prior to workout. If it doesn't get more painful as the weight goes up, I wouldn't think it was a problem.

OP - based on what you're describing it may be an adductor tendon pull. It doesn't sound too severe because the pain diminishes as you warm-up.

Under the guidance of an SSC, here's what I did to deal with the problem and continue with the novice linear progression without further issue:

- Begin warm-ups with 2-3 sets of 15 reps of air squats with voodoo floss wrapped tightly around the groin.

- After these two sets, proceed with your normal warm-up/worksets wearing a slingshot lower body cuff ("hammy band") around the groin.

- Narrow your stance/point your feet more toward the front if necessary to reduce pain - again from your post it sounds like the pain goes away after the first few warm-up sets, so this may not be necessary.

Hope this helps.

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday I ordered 2 McDavid 475 Neoprene Groin Straps, hopefully they will help with my issues.