starting strength gym

Thread: Sharp hip/glute pain

Default Sharp hip/glute pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A few months ago, I was doing some heavy squats and it was fine when I was doing the squats, but next morning when I woke up my hips on my right side felt like there was a knife in there. Fast forward a few months later, my hips and my glutes have this sharp/throbbing/dull pain along with sciatica pain on my right calf. Went to the doctor and she thinks its hip bursitis so prescribed some higher dose ibprofen. Been a few weeks since visiting the doctor and not much has changed and going to see another one later this week. Has anyone else had this kind of injury before?

Are you still training?

Currently I'm taking time off. The doctor recommended some stretches to do and I've been just focusing on those for now.

I'd continue training but with a deload. A common causes of pains is just bad technique. It would be a good idea for you to start training again at lower weights and post a form check for the SSC's to check out.

Like Rip talked about in one of his articles; Your body has been stressed and the pain is an adaptation to that stress. You've already adapted to it. You need to stress your hips and force them to be used in a proper squat to get them adapted. Doing stretches won't cause the stress needed to signal adaptation.

I actually did do deload week and while doing deload, the next day I felt much better. Told my doctor that, but she told me not to lift or squat and since then I've been back in pain. The one thing I did notice is that one of my hips is higher? or more elevated than the other side and clearly not even. Does anyone know what that is? My doctor just left it at piriformis syndrome, but didn't comment on the imbalance of hips.

starting strength coach development program
    I have the same condition with one hip being higher than the other. In fact, I have one shoulder higher than the other as well, which makes the bar sit at an angle on my back. This is all due to sever scoliosis. Polishguy is right, keep training after lowering the weight and focus on rock solid form. Your body will adapt. Stretching won't do shit...neither will foam rolling...in the long term, that is. I would also recommend you use the forum search on HIP PAIN...there are HEAPS of great threads there. I found that ecessive knee slide was what caused my hip issues (that, and being incredibly crooked). Check out my x-ray. Physical therapy ain't gonna help that, my man...

Back - Album on Imgur