starting strength gym

Thread: Rehabbing post op hip labrum tear without silly BS?

Default Rehabbing post op hip labrum tear without silly BS?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Looking to pick some brains about post op rehab from a torn labrum in my hip beyond the silly BS the PT is going to have me do. I'll put details of the procedure below, but I'm looking for ideas on how to progressively incorporate the squat as a rehab methodology. I'm thinking something like a reverse band type of squat may be good way to progressively get into squat ROM until I can handle bodyweight.

I watched Rip's post shoulder surgery rehab video and it had me thinking about how to take a more creative approach to my own rehab.

Oh also some basic information:
    Bodyweight: 245ish
    Height : 6'2"

Before the surgery I was an intermediate (I think) level trainee with 1RMS 210 Press, 320 bench, 400s-ish squat, and 500 deadlift.

Had a bunch of stuff done. Two anchors for the labrum, debraidment, and the surgeon also removed some bone from the hip socket and femoral neck. A few more "you-name-it-ectomys"

Currently about 6 weeks post op. Followed post op PT protocol for passive movement stuff and basic PT stuff I'm back to doing everyday activities unassisted (walking, stairs, driving, etc) and for the most part feeling normal with no pain. Had my 6 week follow up this past Thursday and the surgeon is pleased with my progress so far. He's hopeful I can be back to training by August and back to 100% by October.

PT just started introducing 1/3 wall squats with a theraband around my knees. Lol. Surgeon had me try to single leg squat out of a chair in his office on each leg to assess strength/balance on each side.

I'm thinking I can begin trying to progressively return to a squat, but there are still some ROMs that don't feel great. In the spirit of Rip's rehab video, I'm thinking along the lines of a reverse band squat type setup that will help me get into the ROM progressively, then a lighter band, bodyweight, empty bar, etc etc.

Anyone have experience with this? Open to any and all suggestions.

Default Re: Rehabbing post op hip labrum tear without silly BS?

Hi there,
    I wanted to follow up with you. I was researching this on the forums because I have this surgery scheduled for Feb. I'm very curious to know when you got back to lifting (squats, dls, etc) after surgery. My ortho has a very aggressive ROM protocol for me to follow after surgery that I am excited about. But what was your experience with strength loss and when could you start loading up again?

THanks,
    Tonia

Age info much different from yours, but included:
    wt: 152
    height 5'8''

Quote Originally Posted by training_tonia View Post
    Hi there,
    I wanted to follow up with you. I was researching this on the forums because I have this surgery scheduled for Feb. I'm very curious to know when you got back to lifting (squats, dls, etc) after surgery. My ortho has a very aggressive ROM protocol for me to follow after surgery that I am excited about. But what was your experience with strength loss and when could you start loading up again?

THanks,
    Tonia

Age info much different from yours, but included:
    wt: 152
    height 5'8''
    Hey, training_Tonia!

I'm very happy to report that I have zero hip pain and last week I got my squat up to 405x3.

I started training again 7 weeks post op. I was on Crutches for about 2 weeks. Both Crutches at first and tapering off to a single crutch. When I started training I started with the empty bar to a very high box. I increased the weight each session and lowered the box weekly using pain as a guide. 12 weeks post surgery I was back to squatting 205 3x5 without a box. The rest was straight LP.

I have a log here where I detailed the whole thing from day 1 post op. I'll link my training log below. I also have a YouTube playlist with video of my training sessions as well.

My training log:
    2/3/4/5 to torn hip labrum and back again

My YouTube playlist:
    YouTube

I'm also very active on the Starting Strength Facebook page as well as the spinoff group "After your Fahves" let me know if I can be any help I'm easy to get a hold of!

Quote Originally Posted by Moorefoodnow View Post
    Hey, training_Tonia!

I'm very happy to report that I have zero hip pain and last week I got my squat up to 405x3.

I started training again 7 weeks post op. I was on Crutches for about 2 weeks. Both Crutches at first and tapering off to a single crutch. When I started training I started with the empty bar to a very high box. I increased the weight each session and lowered the box weekly using pain as a guide. 12 weeks post surgery I was back to squatting 205 3x5 without a box. The rest was straight LP.

I have a log here where I detailed the whole thing from day 1 post op. I'll link my training log below. I also have a YouTube playlist with video of my training sessions as well.

My training log:
    2/3/4/5 to torn hip labrum and back again

My YouTube playlist:
    YouTube

I'm also very active on the Starting Strength Facebook page as well as the spinoff group "After your Fahves" let me know if I can be any help I'm easy to get a hold of!

Wow, what a gold mine of information and all so encouraging! It is awesome to see video of you back at it after seven weeks. What percentage did you have to deload your OHP? Was bench not available for a while because of ROM?

Way to kick some butt, where are you at now?

Thanks!

Wow, what a gold mine of information and all so encouraging! It is awesome to see video of you back at it after seven weeks. What percentage did you have to deload your OHP? Was bench not available for a while because of ROM?

Way to kick some butt, where are you at now?

Thanks!
    From the start (at 7 weeks) I was able to bench. By that time it wasn't any problem to have my legs hanging off the bench. I held to a very strict press 1.0 at the beginning because I didn't want to bounce off that hip flexor at all.

These are estimates, but I would guess that I started at about 60% of where I was before (so a 40% deload)? It's hard to stay. I had never run a NLP prior to surgery and I knew it was going to take some time before I was 100% again anyway so I just started my presses SUPER low. For me that meant a 115 3x5 press and 185 3x5 bench.

I've since hit a 200x5 press, and a 210x3 press.

Heaviest bench was 315x3!

Hey there, just looking for you on FB in AyF or StartingStrength. I'm Tonia Sharp--I can't find a "morefoodnow" haha what is your name?

I had some questions about post-op for the first couple of weeks. What did you need at home to sleep/shower/etc? Did you not drive for a while? etc, etc. My surgery is finally here. Can't wait. My training is going well. I'm hoping to peak at a bodyweight squat (big deal for me!) by next Friday. I'm 10 lbs off right now. Gonna max out stuff this week as a benchmark.

Hey there, just looking for you on FB in AyF or StartingStrength. I'm Tonia Sharp--I can't find a "morefoodnow" haha what is your name?

I had some questions about post-op for the first couple of weeks. What did you need at home to sleep/shower/etc? Did you not drive for a while? etc, etc. My surgery is finally here. Can't wait. My training is going well. I'm hoping to peak at a bodyweight squat (big deal for me!) by next Friday. I'm 10 lbs off right now. Gonna max out stuff this week as a benchmark.
    My name is Matthew Moore on Facebook.

I didn't need anything special for the shower/sleep except what they sent me home with. My surgeon gave me these foam booty things that strapped together with velcro so my leg wouldn't externally rotate in my sleep.

My wife helped me get in/out of the shower which was really helpful. We only have about a 3" barrier I needed to get over so she just helped support me in there as I tried to use my Crutches to pick my foot up over it.

If you don't have anyone to help you out (Esperanto of you have a tub/shower combo) I'd even go as far as installing a pair of gymnastics rings or something you can use to hold onto to get yourself in and out of the shower.

Also, anything requiring a good deal of hip Flexion might be problematic. So figuring out how to do stuff like put your clothes/shoes/socks on with one leg would be helpful as well.

I couldn't drive for about 10 days or so. And even then I had my wife drive for about 8 weeks whenever we went somewhere together just because it was kind of uncomfortable.

Also, I recently was published on the site for the writeup I did on my hip rehab! That will give you some insight on my personal experience with recovery. I hope that can be a helpful resource for you!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Moorefoodnow View Post
    Also, I recently was published on the site for the writeup I did on my hip rehab! That will give you some insight on my personal experience with recovery. I hope that can be a helpful resource for you!
    It will be. I've already done LP and am into intermediate now. I'm actually looking forward to doing LP again if that is what it takes. It's a fun phase of training. I sent your youtube videos to my coach (Jayson Ball). He's looking forward to helping me through it as well. It's all very encouraging. Thanks so much for writing all of it up and contributing to the community. I'll try to do the same. Could be cool if I just rubber-stamp your method, eh? SS works for all things.

I don't have a walkin shower so that will be a pain. I live with my BF so I will have help--and I can work from home for a bit. I have a desk job so nothing crazy. I'm going to do a stationary bike right away--surgeon's orders. No PT for two weeks, but biking for five minutes right after surgery and then incrementally building it up each day (twice a day by 10 percent). Should replace the CPM machine that you used, but I worry about not having it.

Thanks so much for the info. Your response here helps. It will document it for anyone else who comes along and has this surgery.