starting strength gym

Thread: Got back into the gym after being away and my body is confused

Default Got back into the gym after being away and my body is confused

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

I'd been doing the Starting Strength program for a while before I had to take 1 and a half week off the gym for non-lifting related reasons.

I did my first session 2 days ago and unfortunately I had to deload by 22 lbs/10 kg on squats. Next day, I felt just as sore as after my first day of lifting which wasn't surprising to be frank. Today, I still felt the DOMS, but I attempted to complete my workout. However, I was shell-shocked to find out that I had to take 44 lbs/20 kg ADDITIONAL weight off the bar since last workout and my quads felt quite tight and they were spasming. So basically I lost 66 lbs/30 kg "squat strength" since 2 weeks ago. And yes, I ate around maintenance while I was away and at a 400kcal surplus after my last session. I didn't lose any weight myself.

It's interesting to note that my other lifts didn't suffer nowhere near as much as the squat.

The question is, what am I supposed to do after this? Restart from a low weight or what else? Does anyone have any advices?

Thanks in advance.

Height/weight/age?

6 feet/156 lbs/16

Anyone?

I got this Mark,

Eat,
    this time next year you need to weigh 200,

that's 1 # a week,

you don't say what you took 22 and 44 off of,
    or what your program is was

Eat and tritate up
    DOMS happens

Yeah, I used to aim to gain around 2.2lbs a month. Nevertheless I upped my calories after this DOMS to make sure I always recover.

I was just unsure whether the muscle soreness resulted in this significant performance drop or that was indeed what my body was capable of after this break and if I was supposed to stay at the same weight and build back to the original weight and take it slow or attempt to do the same weight what caused my DOMS last time.

I think I might go for the latter and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

1 1/2 weeks is not a long lay off. As neil said "eat"!

2 1/2 months ago I got a nagging cold that went to my chest,
    I took 2 months off due to that, and then fuckitis
    2 weeks back I restarted, and went too heavy too fast and did the DOMS from first workout.
    next session sucked more,
    this past week I am now doing better and hitting my restart weights.
    give it a week and keep at it.

I'm 6-4, 255, and 53,
    Eat

I'm having a similar experience. I'm 38yo, 6', 195 and have been a lifelong recreational runner before finding SS early this year, and really trying to follow it for the last couple of months. I also started mountain biking about 3 years ago and do that about twice per week.

Anyway, I went from having never really squatted before SS to 3 sets of 190 x 5 two weeks ago. I then went on vacation for a week. I wasn't sedentary, did a lot of hiking, but it certainly wasn't strength training. Came back on Monday and did 3 sets of 185 x 5 and it was rough. I was still feeling Monday's workout this morning but I went for 190 again. Got 2 reps then failed. Backed it off to 175 and failed again. At that point I felt my lower back was too fatigued so I moved on to OHP. I matched my PR there no problem.

I was considering skipping deadlifts, but decided to go through the warm-up to see what happens. Two weeks ago I PR'd at 300 x 5. Today I went up to 275 x5 and it was smooth, probably could have done more or even matched the PR.

Now I'm thinking ahead to Friday and how to approach the squat. I'm not sure why that was so bad, when the other movements felt pretty good.

starting strength coach development program
    As a noob I've found its easier to come back from a week vacation with a 10% cut on squats/deads and then work up in 10pound jumps as long as body is feeling it. Think I did 5% on other lifts