starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop Training with Neck / Head Pain Issue?

Default Stop Training with Neck / Head Pain Issue?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    (My apologies for the length of this post, but in the past I've posted things without giving enough detail and this time I wanted to make sure I included everything that might be relevant.)

A little over a week ago (6/30) I experienced pain in the back of my neck while doing some intense barbell squats. I don't have video, but I think that my form broke down under repeated reps and I started to look up. It wasn't a shooting pain I felt, but more of a strong throb on both sides but stronger on the left. It went up the back of my head to the crown of my head, again, on both sides but stronger on the left.

I stopped what I was doing and the strong pain went away, but my neck was really tight and still hurt. I had a neck and headache for most of the rest of the day, though 800mg of Ibuprofen I took later on made it go away.

A few days later I was doing a different exercise - pulling a weighted sled - and I felt similar pain, though not as strong and mostly on the left side. The same thing happened a few days after that, this time when I was doing dumbbell rows.

In every case, it only happened when I was really exerting myself. On the rows, for instance, when I took a break and started them again more slowly with the same weight, there wasn't any pain.

Also, both sides of my neck have been felt a bit stiff since the initial incident, though not really sore or overly sensitive to the touch. On a number of occasions, particularly at night, one side or the other has tightened and spasmed slightly, though nothing too severe (a bit of massage calms it down).

I'm going to call my doctor and see if she thinks I should come in, but I'm assuming that if she thinks it should be looked at, it's likely to involve an MRI or related procedure and possibly a referral to a neurologist, which will take some time.

In the interim, I'm wondering if it's reasonably safe to train as long as I stop when I begin to feel neck or head pain. I don't want to lose weeks of training time if I don't have to, but if any serious training is likely to extend my recovery from whatever I have (based on what I've read in the SS Forums and other places online I'm assuming / hoping it's either exertion headaches or strained neck muscles) I'd rather take a break for a week or two now instead of dragging out recovery for many weeks into the future.

Not sure if this matters, but I'm 49 years old, 150 lbs, and I've been lifting fairly seriously for about two years. No other significant health issues, though I have experienced similar, but less intense, neck/head pain once in the past, also after intense barbell squats.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions / thoughts / advice.

How tall are you. At 150 lbs. I'm guessing you are about 5'4". If so that may be about right. If you are taller start eating.

A video would be helpful but when one examines your statement concerning exactly when the pain happened one finds this "but I think that my form broke down under repeated reps and I started to look up. It wasn't a shooting pain I felt, but more of a strong throb on both sides but stronger on the left. It went up the back of my head to the crown of my head, again, on both sides but stronger on the left."

First, what do you mean by "repeated reps"? After two years are you after LP? What program are you using? Are you carefully following it? If repeated reps means 3 x 5 that might mean one think. If it's 5 x 20 it would mean something entirely? How must rest between reps?
    Second, when were you instructed to "look up" when doing the squat? This is not indicated in any Starting Strength literature. Never look up when doing squats.
    Third, are you lifting at the extreme of your ability? If so, you may need to back off.
    Finally, how many times do you confer with a certified SS coach? A certified coach could analyze your problem rather quickly and get you back on the right path. I'm with a coach twice per week.

BTW Are you male or female?
    Last edited by carson; 07-10-2017 at 06:09 AM.

I'm 5' 9" but my build is very slight. I'm male.

The pain happened around rep 12 of 17 at 135. I work with a trainer - not SS, because there's not one in my area - and I'm definitely not instructed to look up during squats. It was a form error on my part.

Have you ever followed the SS program? Do you have the books? Have you ever traveled in order to find a SS coach? A few visits from time to time can make a world of difference. Have you checked out Online coaching from a certified SS coach?

Eat.

I've followed the program and I have the books. I probably wasn't being clear enough in my initial message - I know that my squat form was off. My trainer saw it too. It was a breakdown under stress that I'm taking steps to ensure won't happen in the future. What I'm wondering about right now is the advisability of training so long as I stop when I being to feel neck or head pain.

It depends upon how severe the pain is. I think all of us have trained through pain. You have not said how heavy the weight was so I don't know if you should deload or not. I would trust the face to face advice of a certified SS Coach. Beyond that I've nothing more to say.

Sudden onset of head/neck pain could be a sign that you are about to drop dead. Especially at our age.

If it doesn't kill you, you can probably train through it. Maybe ask a doctor, rather than strangers on the internet, on the life-or-death part?

Absolutely - I'm doing just that. I'm really cautious about this stuff, which is why I wanted more than my own opinion on the wisdom of training while I await the appointment. It seems to me that as long as I stop if I start feeling neck & head pain that's reasonable, but as my tendency is to push through things, I thought I'd see what people who aren't me, many of whom have far more experience than I do both in lifting and training others, have to say.

Sounds like you got a cramp in your neck muscles. At least that is what it felt like when I had neck cramps in the past. Not a doctor, etc.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.B. View Post
    I'm 5' 9" but my build is very slight. I'm male.

The pain happened around rep 12 of 17 at 135. I work with a trainer - not SS, because there's not one in my area - and I'm definitely not instructed to look up during squats. It was a form error on my part.

That number of continuous lifts at our age is contraindicated. I'd drop that trainer and contact as SS coach. This is not indicated in the SS books and for good reason. Stop doing that if you wish to remain healthy. But then I'm only 70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast