starting strength gym

Thread: Carpal tunnel

Default Carpal tunnel

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So apparently I have carpal tunnel in my left wrist. I am new to SS (since Jan) and I'm guessing that weights have brought this on to one degree or another. It is the only thing changed in my life and I don't do a lot of typing etc so. In anycase, I'm trying to figure out how to do SS and no F up my wrist more.

What modifications are recommended?

Here is what I am currently doing:

1) wearing wrist brace during the day and night (not the kind I can use while lifting)
    2) occasionally taking ibuprofin
    3) writing this post
    4) bitching lol

Ideas:

1) wearing a brace / wrap while I lift??? Would that help??

2) Straps for deadlifting? I have been using hook grip, but am concerned the strong gripping will aggro my wrist so thinking of moving to straps.

3) Avoiding pull ups?? Not that I'm great at them in any case anyway...????

4) what about the over head press? the wrist position worries me.

The doctor suggested hitting the treadmill and not lifting which of course I"m not going to do so, advise?? Thanks!

Just FYI my numbers

BW: 233
    Squat 290 lbs
    Bench 170
    press: 120
    Deadlift 325

How old are you? How tall? What was your weight prior to starting your LP?

I experienced the same thing partway through LP and on into post-LP. Two explanations I came up with: 1) increased size narrowed the passages that the nerves run in or 2) some sort of improper form. In my experience, it eventually settled down. No specific reason why, could be my body getting used to it, could be cleaned up form, probably a combination of both. Maybe all of that with a tinge of age too.

My hands still fall asleep if my wrists/arms get put into certain positions for too long - slept on them wrong, holding book a certain way, holding phones certain way, etc. I just deal with it. No pain, just numb/tingling.

What was your doctor's reasoning for the treadmill/no weights? Probably just a rote response to the masses.

I'm 35
    5'9

235...my nutrition could be better

How about some form checks? I know from personal experience that a wonky grip can cause all kinds of issues and getting that fixed (if it's happening) will help.

You'll have to figure out which lifts are bugging your wrist.

My wrists have been bothered by bad squats and bad power-cleans, and excessive hammer/reverse curls, but never by deads or chins. I know pressing can be done wrong in a way that is hard on wrists.

Do your symptoms change during a workout?
    Probably you should record video of yourself doing all the lifts, and check yourself for the obvious form problems -- bent wrists under load.
    Maybe post the video on this forum for a coach to check, if you aren't sure.

Sorry for the belated reply. I've sort of narrowing it down to power cleans (mine are a friggin mess) and maybe overhead press. I'll get some videos when / where I can. I workout alone at home so its hard to get workout videos.

starting strength coach development program
    Are you using any wrist wraps? This would help take some of the load off of your wrists. I would use them for most your lifts, including squats.