starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharp elbow joint pain from pressing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I paid close attention when lifting today because my left elbow was extremely sore. I was doing dead lift, close grip bench and incline DB bench. My elbows bother me some dead lifting because straightening the arms is always a bit sore. After DL, the warmups on CGBP was pretty painful. I did my second warmup and then rolled my elbows and bottom of the tricep on a lax ball on the floor. I find that I need to put a bunch of pressure just above the point and toward the outside. That tendon hurts a bit when rolling. I roll the outside tendon up the tricep around 3" or so and that relieves the pain enough to keep benching. I was able to finish warmups and do 2 work sets before it started hurting again. I rolled it a second time and then did my last 3 work sets. I'm on a high rep (sets of 8) scheme right now though and CGBP is always painful on my elbows. After dumb bell incline, I did weighted chins (3x5), dips (BW- 3x10), hammer curls (3x10) and dumb bell tricep extensions (3x10). The dips hurt my elbows on the first set but calmed down after that and everything else felt fine. I only share all this information in hopes that something here may provide you relief as well.

FWIW - this was the first time that the elbow pain has increased in the last couple weeks. The lax ball is essential to allowing me to continue bench pressing when they flare up.

Thanks again everyone for the ideas. I wanted to report back and say that I started alternating barbell curls (3 sets of 12) and chins (3xAMRAP and then some additional band assisted). I did this for two weeks with no pressing at all, just DL, PC and squats. My elbows are feeling much better. This week I started pressing again. I did 135x5x3 for press and other than a little lingering inflammation, no issues at all. Then again when I did my bench I worked up to a single at 245 (been a while longer since I benched than pressed) and same thing.

I honestly think it was a simple muscle imbalance above my elbow, whereas the golfer's elbow I had before was below the elbow. Seems pretty obvious now in hindsight. I was neglecting my chins (I hate them and do them at the end of my workout, so they are easy to blow off) and doing no other direct arm work. But, my press and bench were at the highest point they've ever been.

I am so excited to get back to pressing again pain free. I'm sure I'll be approaching my previous PRs in a couple months time or maybe even less, no problemo.

lived all over the world, currently Monterey CA

starting strength coach development program
    I have the exact same symptom in my left elbow and have had it for over 3 months now. I'm sure complete rest would work but it's not an option for me. My coach has me doing much lighter weight and higher reps (10 reps) for my bench work right now. Yes, this makes benching easier but I know the problem is still there. It still hurts but one thing I do is thoroughly warm up the elbow with a couple of light sets and high reps before starting my workout. This helps a little. I don't have a bulging elbow which I think is common with cases of bursitis but the pain matches exactly with what bursitis patients suffer so who knows?
    Since this post is a little older, have you found a cure? I'm still searching.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12