starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder injury - opinions wanted

Default Shoulder injury - opinions wanted

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all,

i just started with SS and i am facing a sharp pain in my right shoulder during the benchpress, press and sometimes in the lowbar-squat position. The ROM of the shoulder is also somewhat compromised by impingement-like symptoms. I did a lot of stretching and mobility which helped with ROM but the pain persisted.

So i went to an orthopedist today and he did an xray and a sonography. Diagnoses: 1) the xray showed a small lump of chalk (hope this makes sense, sorry no native speaker) somewhere between my acromion and humeral head. 2) the sonography revealed an infalmmation of the bursa. My question if there was any bone, ligament or muscle damage was negated. The doc injected something to dissolve the chalk plus cortisol and taped the shoulder. He said normal movement was ok, but no strength training at the moment and he wants to check on it again in a week.

My Questions are: 1) Train through it (maybe lighter weights) or pause as doc advised?
    2) Shall i continue with mobility/stretching?
    3) Has anyone experienced something like this?

Any input on that matter is welcome! Thanks in advance.

Well, it is your shoulder so do what you think is best. I really have no clear idea of what is meant by a lump of chalk in your shoulder - I'm guessing some sort of calcified thing? If your doctor was injecting stuff in the shoulder, you'll probably want to make sure you know what it was and what it's supposed to do. Cortisone is pretty catabolic and whatever it is that is supposed to "dissolve the chalk" could well "dissolve" other calcium-based things (like bone).

Whenever you decide to lift again, I would strongly suggest that you have your form checked on your lifts. In person with a coach if possible. If not, then post form checks on here.