starting strength gym

Thread: 5 staples after a concussion yesterday

Default 5 staples after a concussion yesterday

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I can't stay away from injuries this summer, had to go to the ER yesterday after splitting my head a bit, a bit concussed but the CT scan said everything was AOK, it was just the skin and the person in charge said it did not look bad at all. I asked them if I would be able to go to the gym monday and they said yea that should be fine as long as your not still out of it or feeling bad. I feel like they kinda just skimmed over my question. Any one here that wants to chime in and has maybe had a similar injury please do. Thanks in advance.

By no means an expert, or an SS coach, thus my input is anecdotal, from having several myself (from football and a motorcycle accident) and helping my son through a severe second impact trauma.

The readers digest version of the concussion protocol is rest until the symptoms are gone. When you can get through a regular day symptom free, add in light training. Go slowly at first and play it by ear, gradually increasing the intensity. If the headaches, blurred vision, dizziness, nausea return at any time, restart the protocol. Typical return to play time is 10 days for a high school athlete in a contact sport. I think this is overly conservative in most cases and kids are actually more susceptible to concussion issues than adults.

They did skim over your answer because no one is "SURE" when it comes to concussion - and since we live in a time when dodging blame is more important the resolving the problem, I am not surprised. From my experience, If you can valsalva and grind through your warm-ups symptom free and without ripping the staples out, I would go for it. Just pay CLOSE attention for symptoms. And maybe stay away from PR's for a week.

Cool thanks man, I'll probably get back to after they get taken out on sunday or monday. Working a lot, a rolled ankle, and traveling took 6 weeks from the last half of my LP and I am just eager to hop back on, reset, and finish it out.