starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busted blood vessels and red spots on face after heavy squats?

Question Busted blood vessels and red spots on face after heavy squats?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I hit a PR squat of 327.5 x3 today (using Baker's 3 week volume rotation). I'm getting ready to shower, and observe tiny red spots on the skin around my eyes, and then see that I busted a blood vessel in my eye. My face looked normal before lifting today, so I assume this is related to heavy squatting? Any health issues here, or is this normal activity? I've had a ton of blood work done recently, and all my vitals are good. But my wife is concerned that I'm "hurting" my body, since getting red dots and busted vessels in your eye isn't exactly 'normal'.

I've deadlifted 350x5 and 365x1 recently without any issues like this.

Happens to me most Sundays (heavy squat day).

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Happens to me most Sundays (heavy squat day).
    Interesting. How long before your eyeball looks normal again? It almost looks like I have pink eye right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Interesting. How long before your eyeball looks normal again? It almost looks like I have pink eye right now.
    Oh, it's never that bad. Maybe a few small red spots in my eyes and on my face, some red spots on my upper chest. Only time I've had what you're describing (looks like pink eye) was when I lifted and then got on a transatlantic flight a few hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Oh, it's never that bad. Maybe a few small red spots in my eyes and on my face, some red spots on my upper chest. Only time I've had what you're describing (looks like pink eye) was when I lifted and then got on a transatlantic flight a few hours later.
    Yeah, I've had the red dots on the upper chest before, I thought it was 'heat rash' or something like that. Guess I'll use red eye drops if I have to venture out of my house.

Pretty sure I'd get nasty cramps if I squatted or deadlifted immediately before getting on a flight. I can barely handle driving my stick shift for 45 minutes on the way to school after squatting.

tiny red spots on the skin around my eyes, and then see that I busted a blood vessel in my eye. My face looked normal before lifting today, so I assume this is related to heavy squatting?
    I get the little broken capillaries in the face, especially around the eyes, when squatting heavy (for me this is three sets of five at 290). Temporary high blood pressure does it. They go away quickly. I haven't busted any in the eye yet.

I remember when I was young (18 or so) and and stood on my head and I got these spots on my face. I looked in the mirror and thought "oh, great. My life is ruined. Now I've got spots forever." They were gone in a hour. Kids are dumb.

Congrats on the PR.

I've had this happen in competition. They heal quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I've had this happen in competition. They heal quickly...
    It's not too noticeable today. Be interesting to see if this is a regular occurrence in the future.

It's not too noticeable today. Be interesting to see if this is a regular occurrence in the future.
    It will be... happens to me constantly. I've also busted one in the eye... its been weeks and its still kinda there...

starting strength coach development program
    Every heavy squat day for me: around the eyes, on the face, across the chest and shoulders. On heavy DLs mostly on the upper chest and shoulders. Now I do not feel so special- seems like a common problem. Usually takes 2 -3 days for them to heal, never had one blow in the eyeball though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast