starting strength gym

Thread: Advice on training/dealing with Hemorrhoids?

Default Advice on training/dealing with Hemorrhoids?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A couple days ago I developed a hemorrhoid. I've never had one before, but I understand that they are pretty common among the general population. I think mine was related to me eating multiple bagels, and not much fiber, among other potential things that may have exacerbated it (including training, which at this point I can't rule out as contributing to the problem). It's pretty painful still, but I am feeling pretty annoyed and unsure about the question of whether I should or could be lifting.

My question is: are hemorrhoids something you can (should?) train through, or should you wait it out until it heals before starting to train again?

Mine don't seem to be bothered by lifting. Try it and see how yours works.

Hemorrhoids are pretty damn common in people my age and up (51).
    For that matter, if us older folks waited until we had *no* minor health issues before we trained, we'd never train at all...

For what it's worth, I train through them. Hemorrhoids are a literal and figurative pain in the ass, but as far as I can tell tend to be nothing more than that for the overwhelming majority of people.

Unless you're bleeding through your shirts, pretty much ignore them. Use some hemorroid cream or cortisone cream on them. Use wet wipes instead of just paper. Sit on one of those donut pillows if you need to.

So, just train through the pain and see what happens? I was planning on trying to train tomorrow regardless of how I felt, so I'll give it a shot.

Fingers crossed.

To finish up on my experience, in case anyone in the future might find it useful: I had a great workout today, felt basically normal on all the lifts except overhead press in which I felt some pain pushing my hips forward (engaging some of the sphincter muscles and pressing onto the hemorrhoid I am assuming). Overall, though, not too bad. I waited a full three days from when I got it to today when I trained again, and post-workout I feel the better for doing it and I am glad I didn't take any more time off.

Thanks for the votes of confidence about training through it--it definitely made my mind more at ease, even if my ass still ain't too pleased.

Note: training through hemorrhoids is yet another advantage of barbells over machines. No sitting at the gym!

Hemorrhoid are the gift of living to reach a certain age or giving birth. In other words, after a certain age, nearly everyone has them. Lift away.

And fiber is your friend. Taking a constipated shit is going to do far more to cause more hemorrhoids than any lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Hemorrhoid are the gift of living to reach a certain age or giving birth. In other words, after a certain age, nearly everyone has them. Lift away.

And fiber is your friend. Taking a constipated shit is going to do far more to cause more hemorrhoids than any lifting.
    I'm a fiber fiend. Eat oats, apples, beans, and broccoli almost every day. Been constipated once in 50 years. But I still have hemorrhoids.

I think the damn things are just inevitable if you live long enough.

starting strength coach development program
    legit question. At 51, I have to deal with them. On lifting days I apply some H cream down there. That usually takes care of the discomfort while training.