starting strength gym

Thread: Hanging exercise to alleviate symptoms of herniated disc

Default Hanging exercise to alleviate symptoms of herniated disc

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

one of the exercises recommended when suffering from a herniated disc seems to hanging down from a chin up
    bar, the armpits resting in lifting belts. Is the rationale behind the belts merely to prolong the hanging time or
    is there another reason?

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminFeldman View Post
    Hi,

one of the exercises recommended when suffering from a herniated disc seems to hanging down from a chin up
    bar, the armpits resting in lifting belts. Is the rationale behind the belts merely to prolong the hanging time or
    is there another reason?
    Prolong hanging time. For cervical traction unit, once you get about 15-20 pounds in there, adding more doesn't help. Staying in the traction unit longer did. It's going to be pretty difficult to hang that long from a bar, even with belts in the armpits. Something is still better than nothing though.

Never heard of a cervical traction unit before. Interesting device. When you say that the duration is more important than the load, do short breaks matter? For example, if I were hanging down from the
    bar for five seconds with five seconds breaks for a total duration of 10 minutes, would this have a similar beneficial effect as hanging down for 5 minutes without a break?

I don't know, and I really doubt anyone else does either. The traction units don't always work for everyone. The first time I hurt my neck, the traction unit had an immediate effect and I could feel immediate relief and change in symptoms. The second time, it didn't do anything. Just hang from the bar for as long as you can tolerate. If you don't feel a difference after a few days, then it probably won't help your situation.