starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisy knees

Question Noisy knees

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A question for geezers of all ages. Do your knees crinkle or pop when you squat? Do you have ways to cope, such as using knee sleeves? Do you feel the need to ice your knees rather than gulp the Gatorade, like the Staff Sergeant in the opening scene in the movie “Battle Los Angeles”? Did you find the noise was an indicator of a developing problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Remember that the human body is not put together to exact engineering specifications. Bits won't fit together perfectly, so as they move against each-other you get cracks and pops. Does this matter? Well, any physical issue must be addressed with two questions.
    1. does it cause pain?
    2. does it hinder you from doing something you want to do?

If the answer to either of these is "yes", see a doctor, physio, etc. If the answer to both is "no", then forget about it.

Mine have popped for years. In my case, it's patellar maltracking. My patellar maltracking does not cause pain or hinder squatting, etc, but it does hinder running, cycling or hiking long distances. Since I want to squat but do not want to run long distances, it's not a problem. If I decided to run a marathon, I'd have to seek medical help first, not merely psychiatric but for my knees.

Almost 60 here, and my knees have crackled and popped for years. I don't hear them when I squat, but when I get up out of my easy chair it is quite noticeable. Not a bit of pain, however.

Re: Knee sleeves. Just started wearing Tommy Kono knee sleeves about six months ago. Absolutely love them. By the time I am warmed up and ready to squat my knees feel like they're made of well lubricated Teflon.

I'm just 53 and my right knee makes quite a bit of noise. As there is no pain, I just ignore it. I'll probably go to some light wraps at some point in time.

I'm 56. Never heard any noise.

Sometimes when I train in a gym the noises can be heard through Rihanna's really loud singing.

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualThoughtPatterns View Post
    Sometimes when I train in a gym the noises can be heard through Rihanna's really loud singing.
    What about Lady Gaga's? She's a bit more of a noise-drowner.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    What about Lady Gaga's? She's a bit more of a noise-drowner.
    I don't squat while Gaga's music is being played. I mean the weight suddenly starts to feel 2x heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualThoughtPatterns View Post
    I don't squat while Gaga's music is being played. I mean the weight suddenly starts to feel 2x heavier.
    This is known, in the circles of advanced Physics studies, as the Gaga Gravity Effect.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    This is known, in the circles of advanced Physics studies, as the Gaga Gravity Effect.
    Lolololololol :-))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast