starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Herniated Discs and Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Alright, I am again at 155, my lower back felt tight, which worried me. Next workout I'll only do a 5lbs increment, to see if it feels better. On the side note I 'borrowed' a coworker's ergonomic chair, back is much better rested and less pain.

Default Herniated Disc Pain Relief and Treatments Guide

Herniated discs are a major cause of disability in people under 45.
    I am one of those people.
    For the past 3 years I suffer L5S1 disc hernia, the most common type of hernia.
    But each case is slightly different and that makes it very difficult to treat.
    In my case I also have hyperlordosis, scoliosis and spina bifida.
    I have been trying countless treatments and supposed cures. I was often left in disappointment but fortunately found some sources of relief.
    I'm not a doctor, just a student with lots of experience with a mother which is a doctor.
    At this time, despite my efforts, I have reached a point where I need surgery.
    But if I have had the experience and the knowledge I have now I could have avoided this complicated situation for sure.

I have the same injury as described at the beginning of the thread - 4-5 - "Moderately large central disc protrusion resulting in severe spinal canal stenosis...more left-sided neural compression"

L5-S1 - "Posterior annular tear with small central disc tear - contacts and mildly flattens right S1 nerve root

All of this due to an accelerated disc degeneration similar to what my sister had starting when she was about 18 (I am 23). It came out of nowhere - I raced 2 olympic and 1 sprint triathlon in 2012. The culminating event leading to the discs finally herniating and wrecking my back may have been a series of back extensions one day before I knew better and was performing a far less useful strength program.

After 3 days of laying on my couch not moving and 2 more months and limping around and beginning to understand the misery of someone in chronic pain, I got the OK from the physiatrist to exercise again and I got in touch with Jordan (one of the SS coaches) and decided to listen to half of the doctor's orders (the one's that said "let the pain be your guide"), and began SS, making certain of proper form while I did it. After the first couple weeks, I took my first sciatic-pain free steps at the gym following some squats and then found them becoming more and more common as I got stronger. Also, I have very tight muscles and found that the back spasms that have plagued me for years got better almost immediately upon getting into SS.

I've also been dosing with about 2g Vitamin C/day in hopes that it's connective tissue building properties could aid in battling the effects of the degenerative disc disorder that caused the initial pain - I'm not sure how effective this has been, but since it's a simple, cheap, and painless treatment, I'll keep it up for the time being until something comes out saying I shouldnt. Sciatic pain at about 20% of what it was before, but tweaked it yesterday on a Power Clean and definitely reminded me that not all was right in my world.

Default Herniated Discs and Starting Strength

With time and performing SS correctly (not too aggressive on the weight jumps), I am right now at 300 squat. My back feels fine.

Best of luck to you. Be careful with the PCs - I find that technique can breakdown easily on those.

Default Broken vertibrae

starting strength coach development program
    Does anyone have any experience with a broken vertebrae?
    Long story short I was in the back of a pickup when they jumped it. Stress fracture resulting in floating left transverse process of L5. Minor stenosis, moderaterate spondylolisthesis and herniated disk L5-S1. This was in the MRI 18 months ago. Since then the pain has progressed including severe sciatic pain. Some days it's hard to walk or stand. I'm starting to have trouble looking up. It will result in a fusion.
    It was 25 years before I knew I had broken it so who knows how things have progressed during that time. I've been monitoring for 4 years it's been a pretty steady progression checked somewhat by strength training.
    I'm mid fourties female 5'6" 140lbs. Moderately fit. My doctor wants me to keep working out but avoid heavy weights overhead or on my back due to risk/instability. He says deadlift should be ok as long as it doesn't irritate things. I still lift 3 days a week attend karate 2 days a week and play hockey in the winter (goalie) 1 day. These activities are becoming increasingly difficult and I may not be able to continue soon. I am starting to have trouble with the squat can't low bar at all and deadlift is a bit off and on.
    My question is... Does anyone have any advise for working around these limitations?
    Surgery will be at least 1-2 years off I think with the speed of our medical system and the goal is to maintain or even build strength prior to surgery to help with recovery.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123