starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random relative strength question..

Default Random relative strength question..

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    If someone can bench a weight for 3x12 strict. How many reps do you reckon they* could overhead press it (if at all) ?

*a person who knows how to press with good technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    If someone can bench a weight for 3x12 strict. How many reps do you reckon they* could overhead press it (if at all) ?

I can strictly bench over 300 for 3 sets of 12. I can barely press a little over BW (235) for a single and I have good technique pressing. My answer to your question would be none, though I imagine there is someone out there who is weak benching and very very strong pressing.

I could low ball the fuck out of that bench weight and be able to press the shit out of it, or I could do what I really can do 3x12 ,I'm guessing like 185 because my last 3x5 was 245 and it was cake, and I bet I couldn't even do a double with it on the press, considering this past Monday I pressed 175 for 3x5.

Edit: I've done a drop set of 135 on the press for about 20 reps before, and I know for a fact I could do 135 on the bench for 3x12
    Last edited by MattJ.D.; 04-06-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    I can strictly bench over 300 for 3 sets of 12. I can barely press a little over BW (235) for a single and I have good technique pressing. My answer to your question would be none, though I imagine there is someone out there who is weak benching and very very strong pressing.
    I agree, which is why I tend to stay away from the ratio thing. If someone does a lot of pressing and isn't that good at bench, then the ratio would be different. It wouldn't be fair to say that someone has to do X to be good. The same thing could be said about a clean/dl ratio, etc.

I think I could do at least one, but I'm not a normal specimen (not in a good way).

122.5 lbs 3x5 bench
    95 lbs 3x5 press

I've got some issues with my press form, but I tested my PRs recently. My bench PR is 265(just doing my normal warmups beforehand), and my press PR is 165X1(after completing my work sets)

I take your question as how many reps can you do at the same weight as the volume bench 12s? I don't normally do that type of rep volume for bench press but I guess if challenged to do this tomorrow I could get Bench: 225x12x3 and Press:225x3x1 or 245x12x3 and 245x1 but the press single or triple wouldn't be in the same session as the bench 12s. My current 1RM bench is 325 and 1RM press is probably 245 or 250, I don't test press 1RM that often so it's an estimate.
    Last edited by bob g; 04-07-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Not even a single rep. At least i cant for sure. Cant push press neither.

I'd think you should be able to push press it AT LEAST once, shit I've push pressed for a single more than my bench press 3x5

starting strength coach development program

I read that question entirely wrong.

Put me in the "not a single rep" category. I've done 185X10, but my press PR is below that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast