starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press Replacement

Default Bench Press Replacement

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coach.
    My schedule is somewhat inconsistent, and i don't have anyone to train with.
    I feel comfortable with the program's exercises, but i don't have anyone to spot me on the bench (not an issue for the other exercises).
    Is there an alternative you can recommend that can be done safely alone? I was thinking about maybe using dumbbells instead of the barbell.

Thank you very much.

short answer: no, there's no replacement.

short answer 2: search the damn board as this has been asked several times like here:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=25006&page=1

other answers:
    - Yeah, it's fine. You can use dumbbells if you have access to them. but microloading is harder.
    - Do you have access to a power rack ? if so just set the safeties so they just protect your neck and BP in the power-rack.

Just don't go to failure on the bench.

Use a power rack if at all possible. If not, dumbbells are a decent replacement. Weighted dips are also great, if they don't bother your shoulders.

Thank you all.
    I'm still new, so i'm not yet confident in knowing my failure zone.
    I'll try the power rack with the safety pins. If that is no good, i'll try the weighted dips. If that fails, I'll go dumbbells.
    Thanks again.

Where are you training?

If it is at home by yourself, just set the safeties up, and test them out before you go too heavy. Start light and slowly move up each time you bench. This should help you judge when things are getting tough.

If you are at a gym, ask for a spot if you think you need it.

You could also adopt a slightly higher rep range. Maybe 7 or so. This will be less catastrophic if it gets stuck, you would probably be able to have a little rest with it one your chest then heave it back up. Not ideal, and you obviously will want to avoid getting stuck at all. But fairly safe to do single work sets of 7+ yourself or 3x5 by yourself. I used to, including unracking.

Using some form of safeties is better though. You could do dips dumb bells, but you would also being doing them in higher rep ranges so you may aswell stick to barbell bench and higher reps/less intensity.

Rip mentions this on SS DVD. Just don't collar the plates and you should be fine. Just wiggle the barbell around until the weights slide off if you get stuck.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kinski View Post
    Rip mentions this on SS DVD. Just don't collar the plates and you should be fine. Just wiggle the barbell around until the weights slide off if you get stuck.
    This is unlikely to work if you are using 2 plates or more per side, especially if you have good quality bar & plates.