starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant do the third exercise (clean/dl) bacause pain after Squats

Default Cant do the third exercise (clean/dl) bacause pain after Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, this is my first post. Im Juan, from Argentina. Ive read Starting Strength years ago but I started the program a couple of months ago.
    All is going well, except for one thing. Some days I cant complete the session because a big pain in my hips. I start warming up with light squats (30 kg), and I build up until doing 5-5-5 at X (96 kg= 212lbs yesterday). Then I move to bench or shoulder press (depends on the day) and i feel the pain, but i can do it because im not loading the hips to much. But when I move to the clean or deadlift some days (not always) the pain in the hips is so big that I cant move. Maybe 2 days later I can complete the entire workout without problems.
    The pain is usually in the right or the left hip, not always the same side.
    Im 5'10" , 172 lbs
    currently 212lbs squat, 317 lbs Deadlift, 163lbs bench press

You can't move?

Maybe it sounded dramatic. Yes, I can move, but I cant do the clean movement, or the deadlift with a heavy weight. The pain is big enough to stop me.
    My question is about what is the best to do in these days. I do pull ups because I have a lot of energy left.
    The pain is in the back of the hips. After a couple of days, as I say, I can complete all the workout.

Sounds like a back injury, thus...

thanks for the reply Rip.
    I didn't think in an injury because sometimes with 2 days off I was ok. Constant heavy lifts are new to me, so i expected some soreness.
    I do stretching/mobility and recovery but training as always. But if as you said, Im actually injured, the situation will be different.
    Last edited by JuanmaJones; 05-21-2015 at 11:19 AM.

This might be SI joint inflammation. I had a similar experience for a while. You may be having "buttwink" at the bottom of your squat instead of a hard arch, or it could be your sleeping position. These are the two things I had to fix before it went away for me, so it wouldn't keep coming back. Try it and see if it works. You also might check with a chiropractor to make sure everything is properly aligned.
    Last edited by Kevin Pavon; 05-22-2015 at 09:26 AM.

thanks Kevin, it could be. its in the same zone, not in the lumbar as more common pain, but in the the right or left side of my hips, top of the butt.

That's exactly where my pain was, but it was on both sides at the same time. It hurt a lot when I'd sit afterwards, and I would try de-loading but every time I got close to squatting 300 or over it would come back. It didn't go away for good until I fixed my squat form and stopped sleeping on my stomach.

Its at both sides, but generally one side hurts more so it "hides" the other. I don't sleep on my stomach, but I guess my form is not perfect. But actually my technique is far better now that months ago. I used to have serious flexibility issue squatting (My knees always were far in front of my toes), so i focused on the technique, maybe that was a "forced stretching" if that makes sense...

starting strength coach development program
    Do you have the Starting Strength DVD? If not, get it. If so, watch the Squat portion at least 3 times. Another thing that can aggravate it is sitting for prolonged periods with bad posture. One of the other things that helps heal/relieve it is laying on the bench in between sets with your feet up and your back flat. Or standing with your legs straight, leaned over with your hands on the bench or a chair and keeping a horizontal back. This can stretch it out when it gets aggravated, and keep it from bothering you for days if done right away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast