starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength And The Martial Arts

Default Strength And The Martial Arts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Let's face it. Most guys today who are interested in pursuing a weightlifting program are also probably interested in modern martial arts fighting promotions like the UFC. Now, we cannot deny that many of the exercise programs that professional fighters subscribe to seem to run contrary to the training protocol set forth by you, Mark. In fact, many of the top fighters in their respective weight divisions seem to prefer using endurance system-boosting routines like high intensity circuits in addition to their sparring and live-drilling on the mats. I'd love to hear from you, Mr. Rippetoe, regarding this apparent irony, that being most 'tough' guys lift heavy but the real badasses -if you will- who are champions in fighting sports don't necessarily seem to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by rm_sidell View Post
    Let's face it. Most guys today who are interested in pursuing a weightlifting program are also probably interested in modern martial arts fighting promotions like the UFC. Now, we cannot deny that many of the exercise programs that professional fighters subscribe to seem to run contrary to the training protocol set forth by you, Mark. In fact, many of the top fighters in their respective weight divisions seem to prefer using endurance system-boosting routines like high intensity circuits in addition to their sparring and live-drilling on the mats. I'd love to hear from you, Mr. Rippetoe, regarding this apparent irony, that being most 'tough' guys lift heavy but the real badasses -if you will- who are champions in fighting sports don't necessarily seem to agree.
    Yeah, they really should do away with Men's and Women's divisions in MMA. Silly to separate based on gender. Sexist really.

I take that back, men clearly have superior submission and stand up skills and technique. Because of their technical advantage, they should keep the divisions until the women learn to catch up their lagging technique issues.

Andrew, are you suggesting that it's because men have the advantage of sexual dimorphism to our side that this is why there are separate divisions? You do know that many [including UFC color commentator Joe Rogan] have said that women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey could probably beat many men in the same weight class?

Does Ronda lift like a "tough guy" or a "real badass"?

I just won Weasel Word Bingo.

Does Ronda lift like a "tough guy" or a "real badass"?

No. She doesn't lift weights, according to her. She just rolls and live sparrs. Again, everyone on the thread sure is clever so far but I don't recon I've actually heard a legitimate answer to the question.

No. She doesn't lift weights, according to her. She just rolls and live sparrs. Again, everyone on the thread sure is clever so far but I don't recon I've actually heard a legitimate answer to the question.
    Did you even have a question?

Are you aware this topic has been talked to death countless times on this site?

Try the search function.

. . . Now, we cannot deny that many of the exercise programs that professional fighters subscribe to seem to run contrary to the training protocol set forth by you, Mark. . . .
    I've scoured Amazon and cannot find Rip's book on training protocols to prepare for MMA championship fights. Maybe he's working on it as we speak. Maybe not.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltdskilz View Post
    I've scoured Amazon and cannot find Rip's book on training protocols to prepare for MMA championship fights. Maybe he's working on it as we speak. Maybe not.
    It's in PPST. It's a good read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast