starting strength gym

Thread: Question from Sweden

Default Question from Sweden

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mark Rippetoe!

I am German , 53 Yo so please forgive my inadequate English.

For the question jump to the >>>>> line.

I read all your Books (as well as others on the subject) and watched anything of your explenations and interviews i could get hold on.

Short Stats to give you Picture for the questions background

Obese, starting weight 440 (I know.......) started dieting/training Oktober 14 round.
    First found Giessings Book HIIT Fitness later was told in a Bodybuilding German Forum to get the "Starting Strength" and look for "5x5" (Yes, those people promote you..)

Obviously a Gallon of milk wasn't the way to go (just joking) and i decided after a lot of research to do ketogenic Diet as my wife had to do this to cure her diabetes anyway.

Did HIIT Machine training (Legpress,LatPulldown,Rowing,Press Up) 2 Sets each till muscular fail with intensity like Giessing describes until Legpress was at 580x12
    Train Mo/Fr

Then after a 6 Week unavoidable pause i started to do the 5 Exercises you suggest for starting Strength linear progression in End of May arround, at a bodyweight of 341

I thought that i remembered a section where it said to do it 5 Sets of 5 for every lift in the beginning best so i did all exercises 5x5 Mo/We/Fr, organizing

Squat 5 plus Lateral Pulldown Machine- pause, 5 Sets
    Bench 5 plus Clean+Press 5 direct after, pause, 5 Sets
    Deadlift 5, pause, 5 Sets

Diet is tracked 2000kCal average 150g Protein arround

Lifts have progressed linear from empty bar to (Working weights for 5x5 not 1RM Values)

Squat 144 (remark below)
    DL 166
    Bench 143
    Clean and Press 93.5

My size is 6"1

Latdown increased to 264

Bodyweight dropped to 325

I am now in a different country/gym and do a MO/TUE THUR/FRI approach doing still the 5x5 of all Lifts every Workout.

Lat Pulldown machine is replaced by chinups with -20kg (supported chinup machine)

I can only do one correct and a second to beyond eye level in the first and second set yet.

>>>>>>>>>>Questions:

You say that the lifts are easy to overtrain when they get heavy.

How do i feel this happen? At the moment everything works out fine, body is adapting quick, probably because the weights are very low.
    What is the maximum what can happen? 2 Weeks away from the gym?

I am in nutritional ketosis with clean eating since Oktober might be this is different ?

Is there any Risk of disbalances to occur in the muscular skelet if you do all Lifts 3-4 times a week?
    I can increase all on consecutive days as long there is a rest Day after two in row.
    In the ketogenic diet forums there are similar experiences.

The squat was not below parallel so i deloaded to empty bar again on Thursday. Increase conservative or quick again from there, what would be your advice?

I do not really understand the deadlift - as a Set.
    If i am down at the bar i cannot take a deep breath (my overweight?) so i have to do the Valsalva standing, setting and contracting all muscles there, then gripping down, pulling up, setting controlled down. Lower back does not round.

For a second rep i have to go straight up again and redo the manouver, so as you state making the Set of fife a 5 single Lifts. I only take 1, max 2 secs between reps - I cannot get Air/Valsalva/Muscular tightness in the bent over position.
    Is there a disadvantage doing it that way?

So it is actually 25 deadlifts with a 2sec pause between and 6 Minutes after every five.

If i breathe on Top, i can set down and pick up immedeate, it feels a lot "lighter" but i think breathing on top with the weight is not a good idea?

Do you have any experience with obese people like me on ketogenic diets?

Is there specific Risk on high Workloads (13675 pound + warmup sets) for obese?

Greetings to Wichita Falls from a German in Sweden at the moment.

Michael

have read all your books.

what do you want zo tell with the blank answer?

there is nothing i find if i use "ketogenic" on the boards search machine.

if you dont care, just delete the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael62 View Post
    have read all your books.

what do you want zo tell with the blank answer?

there is nothing i find if i use "ketogenic" on the boards search machine.

if you dont care, just delete the post.
    Hallo Michael,

fellow German here. The answers to your questions are in the book. Just do the program, three times a week, increase the weight every time. If you can progress on the squat 3 times a week easily, make big jumps.

You are not going to overtrain with just the bar.

This user, while younger than you has been starting out obese and is making amazing progress, you might want to read the log.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Toot View Post
    Hallo Michael,

fellow German here. The answers to your questions are in the book. Just do the program, three times a week, increase the weight every time. If you can progress on the squat 3 times a week easily, make big jumps.

You are not going to overtrain with just the bar.

This user, while younger than you has been starting out obese and is making amazing progress, you might want to read the log.

Good luck.

Thanks for beeing so nice to answer. Germans. Thats the way they are....

Ich werde den Link aufmerksam durchlesen, danke dafür.

Der hohe Meister Rippetoe war wohl angenervt von meiner umfangreichen Frage oder hat halt keine Ahnung / Erfahrung mit Keto/Übergewicht... Sei's drum

Grüsse nach Deutschland.

Greetings to Germany

Michael

Hello Michael
    There is a starting strenght coach in Helsinki (I have been in contact with him and he seems like a great guy), you can find him on the search funktion for SS-coaches. Take the boat over night get coached and take the boat back to Stockholm in the evening. God luck and follow the instructions in Rips book, it works, dont mess with until you know what your doing. It has worked great for me and Im sure it will for you. I read the book three times, its worth it. Good Luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Listen up fellas, this (interweb) is America. Speak English and respect the flag, or I'll slap you.
    You might have noticed that I used only a single german word. And I think even most people who only speak one single language will be able to figure out that "Hallo" and "Hello" might mean exactly the same thing.