starting strength gym

Thread: General Babble, again

Default General Babble, again

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

Seeking guidance again. Been on the program for 3 weeks, got to 285 in my dusts and 295 in deadlift. I'm sure what I'll ask is in your book I'm just not in a position to get it yet...

My last 2 sets of squats were not as consistent as my previous days; completed the sets as a whole but time between reps varied.

What do I need to do to continue? I've never squatted this much before and am very satisfied with the program but feel I'm about to top out when I get to 295.

Thanks,

Bryan

Indeed, general babble again. Starting Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Please don't make the forum paid. Then exchanges like this would no longer be available for my viewing pleasure.

Mark,

I can't be bothered to do a google search, so I'm hoping you'll personally answer a question you've probably covered in the books you've written and that more experienced lifters than I would probably answer if I bothered to post in the free forums on this site . . .

Thank you for your replies. I certainly don't mean to bother anyone, but appreciate the time taken to answer my question. I plan on getting the book as soon as able…

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bevans View Post
    Thank you for your replies. I certainly don't mean to bother anyone, but appreciate the time taken to answer my question. I plan on getting the book as soon as able…
    Did you realize Mark linked an article for "The First Three Questions" ? . . . Starting Strength <---is a link, click it. (Not necessarily 'the book'.)

i.e.:
    1- how long are you resting between WORK sets? should be 6-10 minutes.
    2- what are your weight jumps between workouts?
    3- How much are you eating; protien / total calories / etc ?

These are the most common things people screw up and result in getting 'stuck' . . .read the article. And yes, prob buy the book too

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Did you realize Mark linked an article for "The First Three Questions" ? . . . Starting Strength <---is a link, click it. (Not necessarily 'the book'.)

i.e.:
    1- how long are you resting between WORK sets? should be 6-10 minutes.
    2- what are your weight jumps between workouts?
    3- How much are you eating; protien / total calories / etc ?

These are the most common things people screw up and result in getting 'stuck' . . .read the article. And yes, prob buy the book too
    Can I propose a fourth? "What weights did you start at?"

Because this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bevans View Post
    Been on the program for 3 weeks, got to 285 in my dusts and 295 in deadlift.
    Is suspicious.

Then again, I guess it could be covered by Number 2.
    Last edited by Satch12879; 02-10-2016 at 09:16 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks to you both! Yes I've been reading the articles and learning a great deal. I've been lifting for years but until several years ago did not have contact with a program. Got hurt doing that and stopped powerlifting and went to CF and as noted in my first post, felt pretty good until recently when it began to seem a little pointless. I then read Mark's article on leaving CF and the bulb went off.

I realize after reading and listening to everyone that:

My jumps were too big and I was not resting enough between sets. I've dropped my squat jumps to 5 and will be looking to get fractional plates as the lowest I have are 2.5.

Truly appreciate the words…I will reach out again after this week or so to see how it goes and to hear from you guys.

Thanks