starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I too old for the SS program?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'd stop thinking that you're 100 and not worry about your age. A lot of elite powerlifters and strongmen hit their primes in their 40's so there's no reason to think you can't make great progress. Do the program and add the 5lbs until you can't, then make use of micro plates and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    I'd stop thinking that you're 100 and not worry about your age. A lot of elite powerlifters and strongmen hit their primes in their 40's so there's no reason to think you can't make great progress. Do the program and add the 5lbs until you can't, then make use of micro plates and such.
    Hit the nail on the head. You're 49 not 149. Instead of the attitude of "I'm too old" have the attitude of "I'm 49 and I'll out work all you youngsters!"

Scott, I have clients ranging from 26-77 years old at my gym. The average age in my weight room is 40. I have clients coming to me to begin Strength training at age 47, 49, 52, 57, 68 and 73. My 73 year old started in May of 2016 with us. He deadlifted over 200 lbs for a set of 5 last week. My 71 year old female deadlifted 165 for three sets of triples. You are NEVER too old to start getting stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by scott.svbc View Post
    Thank you. So, basically just take my time and go slow? So are you saying I shouldn't start off with the idea of adding 5lbs every session, given my age?
    I'm 51 and doing SS. 5lb jumps each session on squat/deadlift since Thanksgiving or so. Bench 2.5 lbs. Works fine.

My concession to age is to lift every 3 days instead of 3x per week. This is commonly known as "old person's SS".
    I'm substituting high bar squats for real squats, and landmine presses for real presses to work around a shoulder injury that's not quite healed. But that's not an age thing.

The Barbell Prescription has a lot of info about how to gracefully work around the various limitations that come with age, though the barely-old like us can do it nearly w/o modification.

61 here. You're practically a teenager. I second everyone else's recommendation to get <i>The Barbell Prescription</i>. You should get <i>Starting Strength</i>, too, since that gives detailed instructions on the proper technique for the lifts.

65 here. Unless you have done stupid shit in your youth and have major injuries, you're still a toddler. The older trainee chapter in PPST 3 is very informative. Follow the 3 day a week program until you cant. Then maybe two days rest between sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by scott.svbc View Post
    Hello, Mark. I am a 49 year old man, 178lbs, 5'9". Always been really healthy. I have a little consistent lower left back pain but other than that, no major ailments. I have read your book and love the idea of starting strength. But am I too old?

Thanks
    Scott
    I don't know how you can read the book and still have this question. Anyway, I started at 51. Still going well. Massively stronger (for me). But I also just read The Barbell Prescription. If that doesn't compel an older dude to get under the bar, nothing will.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I don't know how you can read the book and still have this question. Anyway, I started at 51. Still going well. Massively stronger (for me). But I also just read The Barbell Prescription. If that doesn't compel an older dude to get under the bar, nothing will.
    That has got to be one of the better written books I've read in a long time. I also really liked that when the science isn't conclusive they didn't try to gloss over that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    That has got to be one of the better written books I've read in a long time. I also really liked that when the science isn't conclusive they didn't try to gloss over that.
    Exactly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12