starting strength gym

Thread: Lumbar Pain When Getting Up From Benching

Default Lumbar Pain When Getting Up From Benching

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 38 years old 6'5" 220lb and have been lifting for 3 years.

When I get up from benching, I get a pain in the lumbar area of my back. The pain is only present as I sit up after benching then for a couple of minutes as I walk around between sets. By the time I do my next set the pain is gone. I can squat, deadlift, etc with no pain or discomfort whatsoever.

I found that squeezing my glutes hard during the lift alleviated the problem at first but lately it hasn't helped much. I've also pretty much eliminated back arch and leg drive to try to reduce the hyperextension stress on my spine. That seems to help.

There is no pain at all during the lift and if I laid on the bench between sets without getting up I don't think there would be any pain. It happens strictly when I "de-arch" my back and bend to get up off the bench.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

This used fo happen to me a little bit but the pain would go away more quickly than yours does. It hasn't happened in a while, and I think squeezing my abs harder throughout the whole set helped. Keep squeezing your glutes hard while you do this.

Do you wear a belt to bench? Also, I would guess that proper leg drive would help more than hurt something like this. A video shot from the side might be helpful to rule out anything silly.

If my back gets sore during benching (usually if I have deadlifted first) a belt takes care of it. I have a pretty big arch.