starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Six days instead of three?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    And you won't be able to move off the couch because you aren't recovering properly on your off days, and are instead choosing to waste time doing things that feel good or make you feel good. Eventually, you'll cease being able to make 5 lb jumps on your lifts and stall out, due to lack of recovery.
    That was kinda my point. Can't serve two masters, you will love strength and hate brolifts or you will love brolifts and hate strength.

This may be the best way I can word it:

Just do the program. Do you have kids? Ever notice that kids don't ever want to take a nap? They fight and fight to *not* nap. I would donate my left foot to science for the chance to take a 2 hour nap every day. But those snot nose kids won't take their chance to nap (recover) even though we know better. OK, once you get out of the novice stage, deep within your intermediate level, you will crave recovery time. So much so, when novices ask about compromising their precious recovery time, you get a little upset. Do the program. It's a short term thing. Embrace the recovery now, it's as, if not more, important as the work sets.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    SS is the perfect opportunity to test one's ability to follow simple direction and practice discipline. "Oh! But what if I..." No. "But it would be so cool if..." No. "How about instead I .." No. No. No. and No. And also, No. Do the program as written. If you want the results, the legendary results of increasing your squat by 250-300lbs, for example, you do the program as written, and you practice proper discipline and focus on that task. You will be stronger in more ways than one on the other side. And, as an intermediate lifter, you can add a bunch of other shit. But, when you're a novice, best thing to do is suck it up, tell your head to be quiet for a couple hours 3x per week and just do the program. It's a huge investment.
    Am I the only blaspheme who did dips, rows, biceps/triceps and skipped power cleans (added them later cause I honestly wasn't able nor had access to a properly rotating bar)? Not that I'm the paramour of results (taken me 5 years to get 2 BW squat as a slightly overweight man), but I honestly don't think adding exercises like that wrecks the process even if YNDTP. There are different degrees and ways of YNDTP, and since a common criticism of SS/TM anyways is too low upper body stuff, it's only in issue if you add so much that you are noticeably under-recovered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12